• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need medical advice

vanglak

New Kit
Hi, :wave: I have a ten years old netherland dwarf. :shock: For a year he has breathing problems, wheezing like he has asthma. I think it was upper respiratory infection. I took him to the vet twice already [it's far from my home] and gave him antibiotics but they don't seem to be working. I lost hope. Mom doesn't want me to take to the vet to give him another antibiotics that don't work.

I am wondering if it is because its chronic or old age and if there is anything that I can make the rabbit feel more comfortable. He is a cleaning freak which I think thats where he got the infection from by licking himself all the time and furballs.

He runs free. I vacuum my room as often as possible. Should I open the windows for ventilation? My mom smokes just in case for FYI.
Thanks to anyone in advance.

is your Mum a heavy smoker? It may well be down to that. Particularly as it keeps returning.

Do you use sawdust? That can cause breathing problems too.

No we dont use anything like that. He just on blankets and food dish and water. No alfa alfa/hay/sawdust, etc.

Does he have any other symptoms ? eg nasal discharge, runny eyes, weightloss, increased respiratory effort (ribcage moving in and out in a very obvious way), sneezing ?

There are other causes of wheezing apart from infection but the only way to find out what these may be is for a Vet to run some diagnostics. I would suggest that you try again to convince your Mum to help you get to the Vet.

Maybe ask her to read this thread ??

No we dont use anything like that. He just on blankets and food dish and water. No alfa alfa/hay/sawdust, etc.

Does your bun not have hay? I am sure I read it wrong, but a bun needs 90% hay in its diet:)

I would definatley get back to the vets.

Good luck:)

Back