• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Still contemplating piggies......

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
...... as long as I know I have another teaching post for September....

What do we think of those large piggy cages they sell in pet shops - the ones with two storys. I would obviously get the largest you can get, but have a feeling that maybe it would still be too small. Also the place I would have for them in my hall is always quite dull - not dark but dull. Would piggies mind this? I could let them out in the bunny yard but prob not everyday but they could be out everyday to run around the hall and kitchen.

Sorry for picking your brains so much about guineapigs - those of you who helped me before....

Our 2 piggies don't like having too much space, and they're too lazy to go in a 2 storey house :lol:

Our previous piggies were all a lot more enthusiastic about big cages.

Nearly had 2 more today when the vet phones up and asked if we could give a pair of girls a home....:shock:

Our 2 piggies don't like having too much space, and they're too lazy to go in a 2 storey house :lol:

Our previous piggies were all a lot more enthusiastic about big cages.

Nearly had 2 more today when the vet phones up and asked if we could give a pair of girls a home....:shock:

Yes! I read that. Tell them that I'll take em providing I get work for September! So what did you keep your piggies in then?

Yes! I read that. Tell them that I'll take em providing I get work for September! So what did you keep your piggies in then?

Current piggies have an indoor cage, but only on one level. They have a litter tray at either end filled with hay so they can just lie and eat :roll: One of the trays has a box over it to make a house (we took the plastic house out - they would never climb up onto it, even for food, and it was very sweaty for them in hot weather.

It's only the last couple of pairs of piggies who have lived inside (we have a bigger kitchen at this place, and they are next to the fridge :lol:)

The others mostly lived outside in hutches, but the hutches were in sheds.

what about making them a nic cube cage. i made one for my guineapigs and they love it. You can buy the packs from e bay, they are called wire mesh storage cubes, and if you want some ideas of how to put it all together there is a good web site that you could get loads of inspiration from.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/ . i found it loads cheaper than buying a pet shop cage, and loads bigger. this site also gives good advise on recomended cage sizes for guineas.:wave:

I'm not sure about the wire floor and ladder with their feets. They have delicate little toes and can get feet problems. They tend to run suddenly and could get a foot or toe stuck. I think it would make their feets sore too.
(pig feets are lovely tho :love:)
I would get one with an upper ledge though, as the food bowl is best up and away from the bedding.

Mine had something more like this:
http://www.bitsforpets.com/product_...cts_id=2957&osCsid=jd34a9s0ks1vacvam0veha25h6

Haven't checked the size, just the way the platform and ladder is solid.

They defo need somewhere they can run and hide.

what about making them a nic cube cage. i made one for my guineapigs and they love it. You can buy the packs from e bay, they are called wire mesh storage cubes, and if you want some ideas of how to put it all together there is a good web site that you could get loads of inspiration from.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/ . i found it loads cheaper than buying a pet shop cage, and loads bigger. this site also gives good advise on recomended cage sizes for guineas.:wave:

I've seen that site before, the cages look ace!

Thanks everyone - I think I like the idea of the NIC cubes. Although the cage on the stand with the wheels looks very handy for cleaning underneath etc.

What about the dullness thing - do they prefer a bright area or would under my stairs be ok? (There's no door obviously!!! It's open plan!! :shock:

Thanks everyone - I think I like the idea of the NIC cubes. Although the cage on the stand with the wheels looks very handy for cleaning underneath etc.

What about the dullness thing - do they prefer a bright area or would under my stairs be ok? (There's no door obviously!!! It's open plan!! :shock:

We've had piggies under the stairs before, but the hallway was quite bright.

I'd love a couple of longhaired ones to talk to me at night!! Will rescue a couple, perhaps in the summer once I know I can afford them in September - Can't have Chester dog, Benson and Lola going without!! :D

A few people on the GP forum have this cage

Mezz3.jpg

But what they have done is extended the ramp so it's not as steep, and covered it too. Also obviously piggies cant walk on the mesh mezzanine floor area so they have lined out the mezzanine area with correx (corrograted plasic).
A lot of people with indoor piggie cages use fleece as bedding, and it's a great idea to make this top mezzanine area into a 'hay loft' - piggie heaven :love:

Here's a few ideas -

Lined out mezzanine hay loft
mezz2.jpg

Extended ramp

Mezz1.jpg

Do also look into making your own C&C, they are great fun to do.
I have changed mine several times.
This is how mine looks now

001.jpg

lshapedcc.jpg

And I made it extra large in the winter to make up for them not having outdoor time on the grass

018-1.jpg

Every thing you need to know about C&C on here http://www.guineapigcages.com/
:wave:

Last edited:
Most of the cages you can get from petstores are too small and wayy to expensive for the size of cage you are getting. You do have to be careful about wire ramps as these can cause bumblefoot (nasty foot condition).

I would second the C&C cage recommendation. I only have a smallish C&C at the moment due to lack of space but did used to have 2 cages - a 2x6 and a 2x5 grid cage.

Two females at the absolute minimum need a cage that is 76x91cm (or a 2x3 grid cage). Two males at the absolute minimum need a cage that is 76x127cm (or a 2x4 grid cage).

As I said before, my C&C at the moment is nothing fantastic - especially in comparison the above (WOW!!). Each cage has a fleecy area and a kitchen area.

Cage 1 part of fleecey area (2x3) -

039.jpg

Cage 2 part of fleecy area (2x4)

055-2.jpg

Doors swing open for easy access - also have two doors that swing open at the far right hand side of the bottom cage so that I can simply pull out the kitchen area. The kitchen area lifts out of the top one.

070.jpg

Back