• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advise on Flystrike u/d Healing well :D

Bluesmum

Wise Old Thumper
One of the ladies I work with Bun has had flystrike :cry:
Her and her girls dote on him, and they managed to catch it really early (2-3 hours after hatching)
They went to the vets and they were able to operate and get all the little ******* out.
He then stayed in for a couple of days so they could keep an eye on him.
I went over today to give her a hand giving him his meds on the way back from work.
He still had pellets left from the morning...and he didn't look very happy.
There weren't any poos also. There were some this morning though.
I told her to keep an eye one him and if he hasn't perked up after gettimng his metacam then he would probably need syringe feeding to stop him going into stasis.
He's got Matacam Baytril and Fusiderm.
Is there anything else any of you guys can suggest?

Last edited:
How about the bun going to you for a bit ;) :lol:
poor little thing, educating/advice I guess is all you can do...it's up to her ...frustrating though. Would writing advice down, so she has it all the time and can refer to the notes help

How about the bun going to you for a bit ;) :lol:
poor little thing, educating/advice I guess is all you can do...it's up to her ...frustrating though. Would writing advice down, so she has it all the time and can refer to the notes help

She's actually my new manager :oops: But she is going on holiday Friday and her mum (who has had buns for years) is looking after him.
Don't get me wrong...everything I have suggested she's done in the past....upping his hay and changing his pellets. She's even moved him to my vets cause I told her the one she was at was terrible.
I would suggest he came to me but I couldn't bear anything going wrong and losing him........not that that's what I think will happen.
She's given her mum my number though and has said she'll ring if she needs any help or advise.
He's the spitting image of Dudley though :love:

She hasn't come into work yet and she should have been here for 9.....I'm worried it's Barney...although I know her daughter has been poorley too.
Please could we have some vibes for him?

:oops:
I was worrying for nothing. she wasnt due to start till later :oops:
She says he is eating a lot better....and begging for fenugreeks :roll: :lol:
His bum is drying up nicely too, and he seems a lot happier in himself :D
He's going for a vet check this evening and she is going to ask about pooing :D
She bought me a packet of Magic stars from her little girls to say thank you :love:

This may sound stupid

What is fly strike? I imagine its flys laying eggs under the skin, but we dont have that here, also we dont vaccinate that I have heard of....besides pasterella, I dont know that we have many deseases that bunnies get, worms, mites or fleas maybe for outside bunnies....then the regular problems that are only bunny problems like stasis and bloat and stuff like that...:(

What is fly strike? I imagine its flys laying eggs under the skin, but we dont have that here, also we dont vaccinate that I have heard of....besides pasterella, I dont know that we have many deseases that bunnies get, worms, mites or fleas maybe for outside bunnies....then the regular problems that are only bunny problems like stasis and bloat and stuff like that...:(

Fly strike is pretty horrific. Blowflys lay their eggs on the bunny, and then when they hatch they turn into maggots which effectively eat the bunny alive. As they do so they release toxins which can put the bunny into shock.
Unfortunately, it can happen in a matter of hours...and the only thing you can do is have bunny operated on to remove the maggots.
All in all...prevention is the most important thing :wave:

Unfortunately, you do have flystrike from regular blowflies in the US. You also have the added bonus of rabbit bot fly to contend with. I hope you never see either.

http://forestbabiesrehabcenter.org/marsh rabbit bot fly larva.jpg

Have been chatting to the lady again now she is back from holiday, and she says he is healing nicely :D
The only thing she is worried about is that he keeps eating the bedding she has him on. It's a bit like shredded jcloth (if you know what I mean) and it was recomended by the pet shop :roll:
I've suggested she uses fleece or old towels....but then I'm worrying about them being damp and attracting more flies.
Would megazorb be suitable or is there the possibility it will get stuck to his sore bits?
She's also been told to try and pick the scabby bits off....is this right :?
Bless him she says he is being so good with having his bum done...must be sore sore for the little lad :love:

I'd be very careful in trying to remove scabs as the skin is very delicate and may well bleed. Personally, I'd leave well alone but years ago, before I knew any better and had a rabbit with flystrike :oops::oops:, my vet prescribed Dermisol cream for aiding with the removal of dead and necrotic tissue (scabs to you and me!) It is good stuff and really speeds up the process. I think you can get it from places like VetUK without a prescription.

Back