• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does Anyone have Experience of a Bunny who has lost their partner?

Lola's Mum

New Kit
Last Friday I had to have my beloved Poppy put to sleep and her sister Lola is really pining for her. We did as the vet suggested and took Poppy home and presented her to Lola so that she could see that she had died but it doesn't seem to have helped. If she's not sniffing every inch of the garden or house for her she's sat hunched up in one position for hours. We're giving her as much attention as possible but this doesn't seem to be helping! I will be on the look out for a partner for her but cannot see anything on the rescue websites at the moment. Any advice anyone can offer would be extremley welcome.

Marie

I am sorry about Poppy :cry:

You could contact your local Rescue and ask if you could bring Lola over to them for HER to choose a companion to help her cope with her bereavement.
I am sure Lola will find someBun she likes :)

i had a male mini lop called captain barbosa who out lived 5 husbands he went into deep depression when they died and i always had to give him anew hubby
that aways helped him ;)

You could contact your local Rescue and ask if you could bring Lola over to them for HER to choose a companion to help her cope with her bereavement.

but if that doesn't work on the day they meet, it doesn't mean anything. When Minnie bonds w/ Monty, she never met Monty eventhough they are in the same bunny room at SPCA. They bond very nicely in 20 min.

same deal w/ Minnie and Bernie, but that took 7 mth.

I just went to SPCA and adopt another bun. All I did is observe them, and let them sit next to me on a chair and pick the 1 w/ the best personality.

==============

Marie:

here's a list of rescue center in UK

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

or go to the Rabbit In NEED section and see who's available

Or post in the rabbit in need section, many members w/ rescue centers will response to you

If you can't find a rescue center in your area, some members here wiil do a bunny run and deliver to your place.

Im really sorry for your loss :(

One of my group of four died last year, I had bonded her with Joey when she was a baby and six months before she died had bonded my other pair with them. I left her body with the three buns for several hours, they groomed her and never left her side, not even for food. Although Joey had the others it was two weeks before he started to come round, he was so depressed.

I would get her a partner as soon as possible, at least my Joey has the other two to comfort him. Where abouts are you?

Thank you all for your kind words. Still can't believe Poppy's gone, it was so sudden :cry:

I'm in Bedfordshire Nursecroft!

I have checked out many of the local rescues online but can't really see a suitable candidate locally. I have now made enquiries about Jasper a bun at The RSPCA in Warsaw via the bunnies in need page. He would be a good match age and size wise. Maybe I will also go along to out NAWT over the weekend. I rescued a Guinea Pig from them recently to bond with my other bereaved male. We don't seem to be having much luck at the moment :( I'ts so sad as we had just bought them a beautiful shed. So much space and no one for Lola to share it with!!

Sorry for your loss hun ((hug)) :(

Verity spent ages looking for Claude and like you describe, sat all hunched up for hours on end. I knew I had to act when she began eating less, and I got her some company - even though it felt too soon for me.

I have recently rehomed Echo from Walsall RSPCA, and I found them really nice people to deal with. :)
If you are able to travel, I know that there is a place called Animals in Need It's in Irchester (near wellingborough) according to website they have buns available. I have never used them, but they say that they only rehome to people with an existing bun needing a partner :)

Best of luck with your search.

Thank you all for your kind words. Still can't believe Poppy's gone, it was so sudden :cry:

I'm in Bedfordshire Nursecroft!

I have checked out many of the local rescues online but can't really see a suitable candidate locally. I have now made enquiries about Jasper a bun at The RSPCA in Warsaw via the bunnies in need page. He would be a good match age and size wise. Maybe I will also go along to out NAWT over the weekend. I rescued a Guinea Pig from them recently to bond with my other bereaved male. We don't seem to be having much luck at the moment :( I'ts so sad as we had just bought them a beautiful shed. So much space and no one for Lola to share it with!!

We've got bunnies waiting for homes and we can do the bonding for you, we are in Warwickshire, we have a great deal of experience with bunnies that have just lost their partners and are grieving, pm me if you need help

Back