• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunny/house sitter

Lolly's mum

Mama Doe
hi all!!

hav'nt been on the forum for a few weeks (holiday, family visiting, blah blah) hope i've not missed anything.

i don't go away anywhere as i've yet to find someone i trust 100% to look after barnes.

how do you judge who's best? i have two people lined up to house and bun-sit in september when i go to my sisters wedding (i wouldn't mind but she did'nt come to mine!!) one is a woman i work with who adores all animals, dosn't smoke and drinks in moderation, the other is the daughter of a friend,19 yrs old and just completed her psychology degree and according th her mother is "bunny mad"

i'm tempted to go with the 19 yr old, this is not because i think she would be any better at barnes-sitting, it's because at 19 yrs old she won't mind the mess as much!!

how and who do you choose?

it's like wife-swap, i'll need to write a manual (about 100 pages long!)

Im a house sitter myself and I realise how hard it is for people to leave me with there house and pets. Its not just the pets that you need to think of but you also need to think about how responsible the person is for your house, will they definately lock up and check the oven etc. Only you can decide between the two people - does the 19 year old live alone will she be responsible or are you better off with a slighty older person who understands the responsibility of house sitting? Will they be staying the night at yours?

Im a house sitter myself and I realise how hard it is for people to leave me with there house and pets. Its not just the pets that you need to think of but you also need to think about how responsible the person is for your house, will they definately lock up and check the oven etc. Only you can decide between the two people - does the 19 year old live alone will she be responsible or are you better off with a slighty older person who understands the responsibility of house sitting? Will they be staying the night at yours?

hi!

yes they will be staying for at least two nights, i do think in my heart that the older lady (she's not old but not 19) is the better choice, do you reckon a trial night would be a good idea?

for me it's like asking someone to look after my two year old child!

Well I have never done a trial night - how long have you known the lady. Alot of people would think we are being silly but its so important to know that your animals and home are safe. The main thing is to set down the rules, can she have people over (I never do) can she eat your food and obviously give her every important phone number you can think of! What my new customers do is write down there own rountine and then you know nothing is going to be missed!

Well I have never done a trial night - how long have you known the lady. Alot of people would think we are being silly but its so important to know that your animals and home are safe. The main thing is to set down the rules, can she have people over (I never do) can she eat your food and obviously give her every important phone number you can think of! What my new customers do is write down there own rountine and then you know nothing is going to be missed!

i've known her for about three years but never socially, only through work. she's a very level headed and caring sort, she used to be a cleaner and now works as a hospital porter. we had a chat the other day when i expressed my worries about the state of my house (i can live with dust but not clutter) and having a house bun means there is always dust!

she said a lovely thing "i don't care what a house is like, as long as the animal(s) living there are well cared for"

She sounds perfect all you want is someone who is caring and responsible - as she used to be a cleaner she will be used to locking up and double checking things. All you have to do is try and trust her and enjoy your couple of days away! ( easier said than done!)

She sounds perfect all you want is someone who is caring and responsible - as she used to be a cleaner she will be used to locking up and double checking things. All you have to do is try and trust her and enjoy your couple of days away! ( easier said than done!)

thanks for the advice, deep down i know she's the right one, only hope she dosn't freak at the dust!!

now i have to start writing the "how to look after barnes the bun according to his over the top mummy" !!!

em and barnes xx

Back