• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Terrified of sudden death

rachylou

Warren Veteran
I am so terrified of the possibility of sudden death, I would die without Jims, he is my world, he has saved me, I was so deep in the black hole of depression and he is the reason I wake up in the morning, the reason I choose to continue fighting, without him I have no reason.
My fear is growng after hearing that poor Ali lost dear Teddy a few days ago to sudden death, I am terrified that I may loose my baby.
He is a dwaf lop, do they have heart problems?

Not that I am aware of.

I know how you feel. I had a nightmare about Sally and Feegal dying last night. I woke up in tears:cry:

They mean so much to us.

The only problems I am aware of, and I have not really looked into it is dentals:?

Im More Scared Of Coming Home To Stasis Than A Sudden Death.

Death I Can Deal With, Nursing A Sick Bun I Cant.

I have real problems dealing with death, I phyisically know one day it will happen but I can not even begin to contenplate it when thinking about Jims, he can not go, he is my baby. I would die if I lost him.

I lost Scarlett to sudden death. Every time I go out to see the bunnies I still am scared I'll find one dead.
I've still not got over it :(

I know this exact feeling, My bunny has been ill for the last week, nothing too serious but im scared that I'll come back from college to find her dead and I dont know how I'd manage, I was in floods last night just thinking about it :cry:

I know this exact feeling, My bunny has been ill for the last week, nothing too serious but im scared that I'll come back from college to find her dead and I dont know how I'd manage, I was in floods last night just thinking about it :cry:

Charlie is that you?
How is Lola doing now?

Im More Scared Of Coming Home To Stasis Than A Sudden Death.

Death I Can Deal With, Nursing A Sick Bun I Cant.

I agree with this ^^

Sudden death is a shock, but there is really nothing worse than having to play God and decide when a terminally ill pet should die :(

I agree with this ^^

Sudden death is a shock, but there is really nothing worse than having to play God and decide when a terminally ill pet should die :(

I agree. I do worry about having an animal die so suddenly, especially when thread like Teddy's pop up, but I think I'd rather know there was nothing I could do.
I always hate making the decision to put pets to sleep :(

Dwelling on the end detracts from and spoils the here and now.

Think like a Rabbit- live in the moment.

I agree with Jane. It is awful to find a bun dead, I've had a couple, but there is nothing you can do if it is going to happen. Much better that you enjoy your time and make the buns life as good as possible- after all it may never happen.

Our first sudden death was Benji, our first bun, a wildie. In a way, although we were devestated, he was 9, only once been ill with a bout of runny poohs years before and it was better for him than to be in and out of the vets getting lots of stressful treatment- because he was a wildie.

Last edited:
In the perfect world all of the people and animals that we love would go peacefully in their sleep, that is what I would want. That way they are not in pain, I would not want to have to make the decision to end my boy's life, It would destroy me. I had to make that decision for Pip my hammy in 2008 and I still have not gotton over it, I still blame myself and still see the last time I saw her, it replays in my head but Jimby has eased the pain.

Fragile Circle.

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
never fully understanding the necessary plan."

Irving Townsend.

Dwelling on the end detracts from and spoils the here and now.

Think like a Rabbit- live in the moment.

I've learnt to do that now, it takes a while but it can be done. It's usually between 8 and 11 in the evening when I spend quality time with my buns, I lost Bungee the day after she 'didn't see right bothered' about a fuss the evening before. :cry::cry::cry::cry: I now assume she wasn't well but I didn't realise as she hadn't always liked a fuss. I lost Scrat 9 weeks later and my world caved in :cry::cry: I however now make sure each evening I make a big fuss of them 'in case it's the last chance I get' - not in a morbid way but just so they know how much they mean to me (and I suppose because it would be easier for me emotionally if they did 'go' the following day).

Let you bun brighten your world up and brighten his/her world up, enjoy every moment you can with them :love::love: I don't think I'll ever get over finding Bungee dead unexpectedly but my heart isn't in my mouth expecting the worst when I get home anymore .... that phase passed.... I now look forward to being greeted by them :love::love::love:

Joejoe got me through terrible depression too, he was the only thing that kept me going and something to live for as he relies on me, and when i thought i was going to lose him earlier in the year it was like my whole world had collapsed, i was in tears at work and everything, a right state. I love that bunny sooo much and i just try and block out the thought of him dying and just appreciate and enjoy every minute that I do have with him ;)

After the week I have had, I would rather they go peacefully in their sleep, than having to battle illness and make a decision. The shock would be severe, but it would be easier to deal with I think.

I too eel sick at the thought of finding either of my two .... can't even type it:oops:

but I have heard a few people on here: Jane, Jill say that Rabbits live in the present.. and that has helped greatly c

My boys have helped me greatly. They gave me something worth living for and I look forward to every day I have with them :love:

Of course I worry about them dying, but I accept that it will happen some day (hopefully a long time in the future), and when they do go I would much rather they went in their sleep.

Sometimes I started worrying about them instead of enjoying my time with them, but then I realised that I would be wasting the good times by worrying.

I can see everyones points of views here.
I too dread finding one of mine dead, or waking up one morning and one of them not coming to greet me for breakfast. This is how I find out my beloved Tilly was poorly and I lost her later that day. I couldnt get my head around the fact that one day she was here and the next she was gone and its really scarred me. So I admit that now every single morning when I wake up I have a small panic until I get out of bed and my buns are in tow begging for their breakfast. I know its crazy, but the other week when I got up my Mimi didnt come pester me for breakfast and that was the start of a long and horrible illness, so thats kind of reaffirmed my neuroses :roll: If I dont see Timmy for a couple of hours I go nuts thinking the worst, if I lost him Id be as destroyed as when I lost Tilly and I just couldnt go through that again so soon.
But, I am trying to get over it so that I dont pass on the stress to my buns. Theres no point constantly worrying about something that may or may not happen. Aslong as you look after and cherish your buns as much as you can, you have to relax in the knowledge that you're a great bunny mum, and let fate take care of the rest.
Easier said than done I know!) ;)

Back