• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

An odd one...design questions post 8

Bluesmum

Wise Old Thumper
Been thinking about things to do to keep me occupied and maybe bring in a little moneys once I've had baby.
I'm pretty good at wood working, and was wondering if bespoke/huge hutches or maybe even restoring old decrepid ones would be a good way makeing a little money.
I would be maybe looking at only using reclaimed items, I know I can get a fairly unlimited supply of pallets I could use the wood from....or maybe raiding the tip and things like that.
What do you think?

Last edited:
Yeah, i think it would be good.

You could even do some deals with rescues on here, make them to their requirements x

You have probably seen on here the pent-up demand for good hutches of the right sizes and the scarcity of suppliers. Plus, you know what the market rates are via eBay (plus a few other suppliers).

You already have access to low-cost material plus your own labour.

I think that it could do well. You could choose to become an eBay Seller.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.:)

Wow - how clever! Sounds like a great way to make some spare dosh - and do people (and bunnies) a favour!

I've got a while to think about it, and I'd maybe look at doing a % of profit to rescue(s) and then doing stuff for them at cost only.
I must admit that this only really came into my head after the thread about the hutch supplier that was rubbish. Then looking at the Ryedale hutches and seeing how expensive they are :shock:

Would people prefer flat pack or delivered standing?

There is a lot of market research I would have to do really before I decided to do it-but I have some business info as I did it for A Level.

Being honest....I havent quite figured out how to sell things on ebay :oops:

I think its unlikely you would find enough decent materials for whole hutches in a tip.
Its the fox deterrent mesh that is expensive in making a hutch and of course the felt to waterproof the roof for hutches plus hinges and bolts. They take quite a time to make too (my husband has made several)and it takes loads of wood to make a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch.

Perhaps it would be easier to make hidey hole shelters to go inside runs? They would only need wood (from your pallets) and would be much quicker and easier to make, giving you a faster financial turnround. They would be smaller to store, awaiting customers too. I am thinking of a little rabbit sized shelter like the one inside this run.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-x-4-x-2-Fol...ies_Poultry&hash=item4ceddeae74#ht_4419wt_930

It might be an idea to make a prototype then see how much postage would be so that you could add that cost to anyone wanting it posted to them. Though local pickup would be best. You could advertise on ebay as well as having a siggy on here.

If you are artistic you could buy pet friendly paint and decorate the sides with perhaps flowers or a bunny silhouette?

Good luck with your venture.-sue:wave:

I'm just thinking about some preliminary designs now....
Would people prefer an apex,sloping forwards or sloping back roof?
Which would be better, the planks (for want of a better word) being horizontal or vertical?
Would it more practical to have 2 opening mesh paneled doors and then a living space?
What precentage would you prefer the living space to be?
I'd be looking at doing a variety of 6 7 & 8 ft and then made to order :wave:

Delivery is the biggest problem with hutches...Most people don't have a van or car big enough to transport a hutch, and courier firms charge a fortune to deliver pre-built hutches (and often damage them during transportation :roll: )

Delivery is the biggest problem with hutches...Most people don't have a van or car big enough to transport a hutch, and courier firms charge a fortune to deliver pre-built hutches (and often damage them during transportation :roll: )

Hmmm. What would be the best way to flat pack them then?
I love working logistics of things out....Such a geek :lol:
I could perhaps see about delivering myself...but it would depend on the distace I guess.

Hmmm. What would be the best way to flat pack them then?
I love working logistics of things out....Such a geek :lol:
I could perhaps see about delivering myself...but it would depend on the distace I guess.

Perhaps you could gather the parts into groups and use plastic strapping to secure them. Then a cardboard pack or polythene film over the total group. Plus, of course, the bag of fixings and the assembly instructions.

All available online.:)

Maybe take a look at what people like IKEA do for their flat-packs and copy the best ideas.

If you do the delivery instead of using a delivery service then you take away from your available 'manufacturing' time. People will want national coverage but will not usually want 'Next Day' delivery, so you could use the cheaper 'Within 5 Days' options.

Perhaps you could gather the parts into groups and use plastic strapping to secure them. Then a cardboard pack or polythene film over the total group. Plus, of course, the bag of fixings and the assembly instructions.

All available online.:)

Maybe take a look at what people like IKEA do for their flat-packs and copy the best ideas.

If you do the delivery instead of using a delivery service then you take away from your available 'manufacturing' time. People will want national coverage but will not usually want 'Next Day' delivery, so you could use the cheaper 'Within 5 Days' options.

Fab idea....but at the size I'm looking at would I then have to split the longer sections? That would cause structural and stability issues either that or would it be a nightmare trying to get a courier to take an 8 ft long box.
If I was to do cardboard/polystyrene packing I'd also like to try and get that recycled too....just to try and make it as eco friendly as possible

Fab idea....but at the size I'm looking at would I then have to split the longer sections? That would cause structural and stability issues either that or would it be a nightmare trying to get a courier to take an 8 ft long box.
If I was to do cardboard/polystyrene packing I'd also like to try and get that recycled too....just to try and make it as eco friendly as possible

Appreciate the structural/stability problems and the need not to split.

I was thinking of cheap Delivery Services that focus on just shipping things rather than the Courier type with people that ship overnight from the USA (with prices to match).:lol:

This one (with whom I have no commercial connections whatsoever:shock:) appear to take 2.5 x2.5 x2.5m.

http://www.parcelmonkey.co.uk/large-parcel

So I assume that other ones would be similar.

I think that some companies do corrugated cardboard in rolls to suit various package sizes.

Like this one (again no connection:shock:).

http://www.cardboardboxes.co.uk/show_products.asp?cat1=Paper+and+Corrugated+Packaging

Back