• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fly Question

kgattrell

Alpha Buck
This may seem like a daft question but is it only normal flies that can cause flystrike? What about the smaller ones like nats etc :oops:

They have netting up on their bedroom window and I'm careful not to keep the doors open too long to limit the flies coming in.

I'm extra careful as they do suffer with runny bums and I have spoken to the vet with regard to their diet and she said I am feeding them correctly, I have tried everything but can't seem to prevent them from having a runny poop now and again.

I would say, and Im no anthropologist, that certain flies go for certain degrees of disintrigation.(sp)....ie so different types of maggots will be developed.
My mate was doing a uni course....and had to put 7 dead rats in certain places in a field.
The bodies moulded at different speeds cos of factors, in the shade etc, near water etc, so I would say after all that, that no, I reckon its bluebottles and normal flies.
Erk.:oops: Gross.

This may seem like a daft question but is it only normal flies that can cause flystrike? What about the smaller ones like nats etc :oops:

They have netting up on their bedroom window and I'm careful not to keep the doors open too long to limit the flies coming in.

I'm extra careful as they do suffer with runny bums and I have spoken to the vet with regard to their diet and she said I am feeding them correctly, I have tried everything but can't seem to prevent them from having a runny poop now and again.

In the UK, it's mainly Blowflies, like blue/greenbottles. This is quite a good article.
http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2006/february/Cousquer/Veterinary-Lop-Rabbit-Fly-Strike.html

Gnats, and mosquitoes need to be controlled, as they are vectors for other diseases.

Back