• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch varnish/stain

paulinejoe

Mama Doe
I was in PAH yesterday and they sell their own make of pet safe hutch stain/varnish/wood protector stuff (sorry can't remember what it's called, not a big DIYer :oops::lol:) for £4.99 a tin if anyones on the look out for some. It was on the shelves with they hay & straw.

I was in PAH yesterday and they sell their own make of pet safe hutch stain/varnish/wood protector stuff (sorry can't remember what it's called, not a big DIYer :oops::lol:) for £4.99 a tin if anyones on the look out for some. It was on the shelves with they hay & straw.

Is that in all branches and how big is the tin? Which one did you look in? I am looking for something to preserve our new hutch.

Do you know if it's suitable for the inside? I need something to varnish the edges of the lops sleepy shelf but I want something that it doesn't matter if they chew the wood, it's unlikely they will cos they arn't big chewers but better to be safe.

I've used the Pets at Home stain before, but I found it smelled REALLY bad. I definitely wouldn't use it again.

I use Cuprinol now, and find it very good

I've used the Pets at Home stain before, but I found it smelled REALLY bad. I definitely wouldn't use it again.

I use Cuprinol now, and find it very good

I agree with this whole post, PAH stinks, the hutch paint isn't too great either!! Cuprinol Ducksback is the way forward! Or normal cuprinol with vegetable oil mixed in.

Ditto - it gave me a horrendous headache, I dread to think what it must do to poor little bunny noses.

I've never used it, I just saw it in a white tin amongst the hay, that's typical PAH though isn't it to sell something not suitable, bit like one of their rabbit treats containing meat :roll:

i used it...am i the only one that likes the smell lol!!! i have used the coprinol before which is good...will have to look for the ducksback one that sounds very good. I chose the PAH one this time as it is the exact colour match with my hutch and i couldn't find a coprinol one in the same colour. Not that i am a particular fan of bright orange hutches but i am fussy and i would have been annoyed to have the indoors of the hutch different so i thought keep it all the same colour!!!

I've never used it, I just saw it in a white tin amongst the hay, that's typical PAH though isn't it to sell something not suitable, bit like one of their rabbit treats containing meat :roll:

:shock: really? meat?? I was in a pet shop the other day and saw 'rabbit training treats' and got really excited, then realised they were for dogs and understood what it meant :cry:

I just used Wilkinson's own Fence/Shed Paint on my hutch, its really good! Withstood the rain really well today and I've only had one coat on so far x

i used it...am i the only one that likes the smell lol!!! i have used the coprinol before which is good...will have to look for the ducksback one that sounds very good. I chose the PAH one this time as it is the exact colour match with my hutch and i couldn't find a coprinol one in the same colour. Not that i am a particular fan of bright orange hutches but i am fussy and i would have been annoyed to have the indoors of the hutch different so i thought keep it all the same colour!!!

Just went to Wilkos for Ducksback - its only 7 quid reduced from 12 instore for 5 L. Bargain!

I used this stuff on my shed and playhouse - http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/shed_and_fence_preserver_overview.jsp It's really good. It soaks into the wood rather than just covering the top so it doesn't need re-doing often and unlike the ducksback stuff, it's possible to paint over it again if I decide I don't like the colour.

It's pet safe once dry. I think nearly all wood paints that are water based are safe for animals so long as it's totally dried. :wave:

Back