• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help needed desperately

Cherylp

New Kit
Hi l have only just joined, l am a small animal fosterer with my local charity, l also foster kittens as well. My question is zoe a oen year old was brought into us by a couple who had found her they had kept her for a week but could not afford to keep her. l decided to keep her with a view to bonding her with a older lop who was also abandoned and has just been nursed back to health. We have had her three and a half weeks now four weeks on friday.

Last saturday l opened her bedding compartment to completely change and clean it, to find she has built a nest in there we picked her up to examine her and found her teats to be down and visible. Since then l have had a quick peek in each morning but nothing she is very protective of her nest. Has she had her kits, is it a phantom pregnancy or is she still pregnant. If she has had her kits will she bury them in the nest, how can l tell if she has had them, and when will l be able to see them. Sorry for the questions but this is my first experience of a pregnant doe and l really want to do the best l can for her. She has a appointment on Friday to see the vets.

Hugs Cheryl

Bump!

Cheryl, I am sorry I have no experience with possible pregnancies or babies but bumping this up in the hope someoen with knowledge and experience will be along soon.

If her nipples are engorged then it's likely that she's had the kits. They like to snuggle down into the nest, so you may not be seeing them because of this. If there's any way of distracting her so you can have a look then that'd be great...but you'll have to wipe your hands in her dirty bedding before doing this, as, if she feels threatened, she might harm the kits.

She should know what she's doing, so pretty much leave her to it....but you need to check for any dead babies, and remove them.

Good luck!

Back