• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this normal post neutering?

serendipity

Warren Scout
My two boys were neutered on Friday and have had their check up and are fine BUT they won't let me pick them up now :(

They are very jumpy, almsot skittish. Not aggressive (I have never been bitten by any of my rabbits yet, I'm very lucky!) but they run if I try to lift them or snuggle them :(

Any thoughts?

Very normal for them to be upset with you and not to trust you as much as they used to. You have to earn their trust back :)

this is quite normal they just need time to come round unfortunately it sets back the bonding process with owners slightly but keep trying i'm sure they'll settle down

My little girl is not coping too well

Hi
I am new to these forums.
Need some advice really.
I have two lovely bunnies, one is a buck he was neutured last week (currently sperated from his partner) he is rocking on fine, little monster!

My little girl is not doing so great, took her to vet on monday (she is 5 months) to be 'done'. She was quite lethargic and groggy tuesday but perked up no end today, bouncing and eating well back to her old cheeful self. I checked her every couple of hours, changing the toilet in her hutch every couple of hours too to keep her clean and happy. She has all her treats and boredum breakers and even had a brief visit off her partner to have a little nuzzle. I went to tuck her in so to speak and checked her wound. She has nibbled it! I took her straight to the vet who re-glued it and gave me some anti-biotic drops for her water. I am anxious about her repeating the chewing but the vet just said if she does just bob her back, easy for him to say while im all anxious about her! I got her a kitten collar (off vet to stop her chewing stitches out they look like lampshades)but it was so uncomfortable i have taken it off her, she couldnt get to her food or water with it on.
Any suggestions? I just want her to get better and be happy!
thanks
sophie (the clucking bunny mum):oops:

Last edited:
Hi
I am new to these forums.
Need some advice really.
I have two lovely bunnies, one is a buck he was neutured last week (currently sperated from his partner) he is rocking on fine, little monster!

My little girl is not doing so great, took her to vet on monday (she is 5 months) to be 'done'. She was quite lethargic and groggy tuesday but perked up no end today, bouncing and eating well back to her old cheeful self. I checked her every couple of hours, changing the toilet in her hutch every couple of hours too to keep her clean and happy. She has all her treats and boredum breakers and even had a brief visit off her partner to have a little nuzzle. I went to tuck her in so to speak and checked her wound. She has nibbled it! I took her straight to the vet who re-glued it and gave me some anti-biotic drops for her water. I am anxious about her repeating the chewing but the vet just said if she does just bob her back, easy for him to say while im all anxious about her! I got her a kitten collar but it was so uncomfortable i have taken it off her, she couldnt get to her food or water with it on.
Any suggestions? I just want her to get better and be happy!
thanks
sophie (the clucking bunny mum):oops:

My rabbit Harvey did the same after he was neutered! He adapted to the cone in no time at all but when we got a cone for Cass because of what Harvey had done, they stopped eating.

It's your own personal choice whether you use the cone or not, but she will learn eventually. Give her a bowl as well as a bottle for her water if you do. I took it off for my other boys. If you leave it on you can take it off after a couple of days.

I also dont think antibiotics in the water is the best way to give it, others might disagree and I'm not a vet! But they will be more effective if your vet can give you some you can syringe feed.

I took the cone off straight away as it restricted her eating, as soon as it was off she was eating away and never nibbled once (as far as I could see) at the stiches, bearing in mind her fur grew back pdq... I was in two minds to keep it on but many on ehre advised me to take it off, so I did and felt much better afterwards!

difficult to know what to do for the best. I have decided to take off the cone, she looked so fllipping fed up. I did question the vet regarding the anti biotics in water but he said it would be ok. I did ask what if she doesnt drink it all as i change her water twice a day. I have diluted it with 100ml of water so as long as i keep it topped up it should work, to be honest not impressed with the lad we saw at the vet, think he was fairly new (youngster)
I will see what the morning brings if she has chewed again i will take her to the other branch of the same practice where the really good farm vets practice.
Having horrid visions of her tummy splitting open, I never thought i would worry so much about a rabbit. They were initally my 10 year old daughters but my husband and i have fallen in love with them and become their mummy and daddy!

difficult to know what to do for the best. I have decided to take off the cone, she looked so fllipping fed up. I did question the vet regarding the anti biotics in water but he said it would be ok. I did ask what if she doesnt drink it all as i change her water twice a day. I have diluted it with 100ml of water so as long as i keep it topped up it should work, to be honest not impressed with the lad we saw at the vet, think he was fairly new (youngster)
I will see what the morning brings if she has chewed again i will take her to the other branch of the same practice where the really good farm vets practice.
Having horrid visions of her tummy splitting open, I never thought i would worry so much about a rabbit. They were initally my 10 year old daughters but my husband and i have fallen in love with them and become their mummy and daddy!

Mine didn't have the sachets of stuff they gave us, I took her back after day one as she hadn't eaten so they gave her another injection and she ate after that (and the cone off). If in any doubt take her back straight away

Yeah i will, she is eating really well, well she will its all her favourite food!
I will definatly take her back if she pulls the wound again. Problem is the vet is going to charge 20 quid for every visit, i had intended to get them insured after neutering, just my luck! So if she pulls them out everyday i am going to have to sell one of my kids to cover the cost!

Yeah i will, she is eating really well, well she will its all her favourite food!
I will definatly take her back if she pulls the wound again. Problem is the vet is going to charge 20 quid for every visit, i had intended to get them insured after neutering, just my luck! So if she pulls them out everyday i am going to have to sell one of my kids to cover the cost!

£20?!??!?!?! Blimey! Did they not offer you a free check-up after the neuter for a few days after??

Yeah I don't know what's worse, kids or pets, not that I have any kids but still!

Back