• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My female rabbit has become very aggressive!!!!

curlywurly

New Kit
Hi, I have a female minilop she is about 7 months old, over the last 3 day she has become very agressive! As soon as I let her out of her cage she starts making a buzzing noise, and tries bite me :( she is also pooing while do this??!! I have booked her in to be neutered tomorrow. The vet said it could take upto 7-9 weeks before her hormones calm down after she is neutered, is this true?? I have never owned a rabbit before so I am new to all this. I really don't know what else I can do to stop her? Please help!!

The neutering is sure to help with this.

I hope it goes well, make sure you are prepared for her aftercare - she will need to stay indoors for at least 24 hours after the op and you will need to make sure she is eating, drinking and pooing well after, get in some tempting bits to get her eating - rocket, fresh herbs like basil, parsley and corriander are popular, you can feed them wet to keep the fluids up. No hay or straw for bedding as it can irriatate the wound, feed hay from a rack for now. She will also need to be prevented from jumping up until her wound is healed so if she has a ramp you'll need to think about that. I see you say Cage so maybe she's a housebun? If so, how big is her cage and how much freerange time does she get as this could be affecting her also.

Good luck for tomorrow and remember we are here if you need any advise :wave:

I agree with Dustyrabbit. Spaying will calm her down a lot.

Once her hormones have settled down, how about adopting a friend for her? Rabbits would naturally live in large groups, so they're happiest when they have a friend of their own kind. Part of your girlie's aggression may be down to frustration from loneliness - a friend may be just what she needs. Most rescues will even take care of the bonding process for you! :D

spaying will almost certainly sort that out. mine calmed down literally the day after they were done but they'd only been hormonal for a couple of days before the appointment.

Thank you very much everyone.
She is an indoor rabbit, she is out for 6-7 hours in the week. At the weekend she is out from the time I am up, which is very early as I have a two and half year old.:lol: She has a large indoor cage it's just under 4ft. I have been really thinking of getting her a husbun, I work 24 hours a week and feel so guilty leaving her on her own :(.

It sounds very like hormonal behaviour. Do you mean 6-7 hours a day, or 6-7 hours in total Mon-Fri? If she's only out a couple of hours a day, she may be bored and frustrated and need a bigger cage or a pen.

I hope the spey has gone ok. Like other posters have said, they need peace and quiet for a couple of days. Our two males recovered quickly, but I think girls need a bit longer to recover. We kept them inside with towels to lie on and lots of healthy treats like herbs to get them eating.

That's great, she should be back to herself in no time :)

Having said that, Biscuit is spayed and she can be a madam, it's sort of cute though, tempremeental and not mean.

Getting a buck from a rescue ,who bonded him with Bisc was the best move we made.

Sorry about typing, am on my phone not laptop!

Welcome too RU by the way, and pics please?!

Hi curleywurley, Im from Oxford too. Welcome to the forum.

I have house rabbits. Spaying will probably make a big difference to her as she will be less hormonal Although they sleep a lot during the day, a 4foot hutch is a little tight in size for them to spend a large part of the day in. Is there anyway you could put the cage against a wall and then pop N cubes around it, so that she gets a bit more space. Lots of us have started with indoor cages and then expanded them.

Mine have a room and not everyone can do this. My french lops used to sleep in the kitchen.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=226057&highlight=cubes

Look forward to seeing photos of your bunny.

PS When you go to collect her, make sure they have given her pain relief. They usually give an injection which lasts 24 hours.

Thank you very much everyone.
She is an indoor rabbit, she is out for 6-7 hours in the week. At the weekend she is out from the time I am up, which is very early as I have a two and half year old.:lol: She has a large indoor cage it's just under 4ft. I have been really thinking of getting her a husbun, I work 24 hours a week and feel so guilty leaving her on her own :(.

Neutering should help the behaviour, however getting a larger sized accomodation may also help. A 4 foot base even if they are out for 6 - 7 hours a day will mean that they have 18 hours in a small space and will be frustrated. If you have a larger space you can greatly enrich your rabbits life by adding toys etc, reduce the risk of joint problems and also have the option of a husbun to bond with your rabbit.

There are lots of people who will be able to give you some lovely ideas for expanding the space your rabbit has

Storm is home now:D she is very quiet though :( She had some pain relief so hopefully she will perk up tomorrow. I have given her a little bit carrot, curly cale, broccoli and corriander she has eaten a little bit of it, not eating her hay, or pellets yet! I have got to take her back on Saturday to have her stitches checked, or tomorrow if she's not eating. When she is better I will let her have the run of the kitchen, she has plenty of toys. I'm always buying her something when I go to pets at home.
How do you upload pics on here??????

Back