• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can i have your opinion (long post sorry)

Michelleox

Mama Doe
I'm wondering if i can have some advice. I'll try and explain what it is but it's a bit of an odd one to try and explain really...

As some of you know i moved recently and the buns have, i thought, settled in well.

For two weeks they were fine and then I had to take them to my mums for a few days and this is when Amber seemed to go a bit 'off' occasionally. She is eating pellets and veg and her poos are fine. She is her usual bright self and then the next time you see her she's sat there looking miserable but not in a hunched way like she's in pain. To me she's got a far away look almost. Then she's fine, poking her nose through the hutch wanting a nose rub.

I'm wondering if Ollie has upset her somehow :? He does barge her out of the way at treat time and a few times recently she's wandered off instead of bustling for her place. They do get a bit excited at meal times so i do feed the greens seperately (one up, one down) and pellets they eat side by side. Ollie does chase her a little but they are soon grooming eachother afterwards. Sometimes this brief chasing does 'upset'' her and she won't eat her pellets, i have to wait and come back in a few minutes time and theres no problem. This has been going on since they were bonded which will be a year in September.

She just seems to be a little distracted almost which isn't like her as she is, or used to be, very fiesty.

Maybe they don't like the new home (same hutch) but they have had to get used too a bit more noise and two larger dogs than to what they have been used to.

Health wise i think she's fine. The other reason this may be is her teeth of course. They were last checked six weeks ago (when i took her to the vets as she seemed to have a painful tum which after fiberplex and metacam she was fine) and her teeth were fine apart from small ledges which have stayed the same for about 9 months now. I am making an appointment for Thursday morning for Oll's Myxi jab and a teeth check for both.

If it is the noise or upheaval they have had, they can stay at my mums as they have always been fine there except this one time when i think i noticed the problem.

I hope i have explained this ok and you can see what i mean and any commenst and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Edit: i have just put them upstairs in the hutch and put in the smaller carrier like i do every night and she's gone in there and merrily munching hay. This is HER box and she doesn't like Oll's going in there much

Last edited:
Is Ollie still trying to make a claim over new environment do you think? Bella and Oscar was like this for a while but they calmed down.....maybe they're also still adjusting....may take a little more time.... Sorry not much help

Bo and Barnaby did this when they were introduced to their new run earlier this year so it sounds like the upheaval of the move is causing this behaviour. Mine was a dominance issue over the hutch (which was their usual one which we'd put onto the run) so I took the advice of RU-ers and moved them out into the 'neutral' territory and then allowed them access back into the hutch when I'd completley neutralised that as well.
So, it does sound like a dominance issue over new surroundings and te upheaval that's been causing the behaviour. Bo and Barnaby are back to normal now (Bo still very bossy but it been like that for 4 years so it ain't gonna change now, lol) but hopefully your two will be back to normal when they've got used to their new surroundings.
Good luck
Tammy x

Hiya,

Possibly i suppose, they have the same hutch but maybe he's thinks he needs to prove himself in a new environment. She seems to be rather submissive around him, even lowering her head when sitting by him. He does actually seem more full of himself recently come to think of it. He used to be quite timid and a little nervous of change. They have been at opposite ends of the hutch and it's like she could be avoiding him a bit.

maybe its really simple like she misses the old house?

Alvin hasnt gone into my bedroom unless im up stairs or he wont come downstairs since pearl died. no idea whats up because bunny brains are too clever for me.

maybe more time is needed for them to settle in properly?

I'm sure they'll calm with some time....if there's no fighting, try not to worry too much, they'll sort it out :D

Thanks guys, i do think it's settling issues rather than health as she just snaps out of it and springs into action! She's been happily playing with a a ball tonight(or venting her fustration out on it!).

My mum suggested not giving them treats during the day so it minimises the opportunity of squabbles which i thought was a good idea.

Is there anything i can do to help them settle? I did thnk of keeping them upstairs in the living quarters of the hutch for longer periods :?

Thanks guys, i do think it's settling issues rather than health as she just snaps out of it and springs into action! She's been happily playing with a a ball tonight(or venting her fustration out on it!).

My mum suggested not giving them treats during the day so it minimises the opportunity of squabbles which i thought was a good idea.

Is there anything i can do to help them settle? I did thnk of keeping them upstairs in the living quarters of the hutch for longer periods :?

The treat idea is a good idea to minimise 'barging' incidents, but with the hutch idea, i;m not really sure, sorry :? If it was dominance issue over a certain part of the hutch then I would say keep them out of it until you can neutralise it and then gradually re-introduce them to it, but if it's over completely new surroundings rather than the hutch that wouldn't be any good. Maybe keeping them upstairs as you say and then gradually up the timethey are in the other one until they're comfortable with it may work?

*update*
Sorry to bang on but i'm still worried.

Both Ollie and Amber had a dental last Thursday (Ollie's alignment isn't right so had slight spurs and Amber did need a dental) Ollie has bounced back fine but i'm still worried about Amber...

I had to take Amber back to the vets last Saturday as she wasn't eating very much and poos were small so she had Metaclop and pain relief (she was eating fine the day after the dental). This sorted her out and she was ok. After GA she does always need another gut stimulant. Anyway, the last couple of days she's been intermittent with eating veg. Sometimes she'll wolf it down but occasionally like this morning she didn't want it. After coaxing her a bit she eat a little bit. She was eating hay and a bit of grass and a crunchie before. Sh eats pellets but ocasionally leaves a couple recently. She perks up when she's in the big run. She does eat lots of hay.

She has lost a bit of weight but that could be due to the dental.

She is still a bit quiet at times. My ideas are:

1) she's getting stressed due to the amount of noise there is in our new place.

2) still a domestic issue between her and Ollie (she has a half hearted lunge at Ollie and he has a pop back) but they usually snuggle and groom most of teh time

3) still a bit sore after dental

4) something else health wise.

I've got a vets appointment tomorrow for acheck up and Ollie's myxi so i will see what they say. Has anyone got any adivce or ideas at all. Aagin sorry for teh long post.

Back