• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just Rabbit Hutches...

Someone with small guineau pigs or rats maybe - are you having a laugh Lisa, they are really out of date, old fashioned spec hutches:?

Petplan should know better :( i've got the big ferplast cage though which is their loo and hayrack/water station (until they move outside), they're never shut in it, except for a couple of minutes a day for their own safety while i hoover round it on account of Joe having a fancy for electrical cables :lol:

Total rubbish selection.

Thing is that these hutches (the wooden ones) are manufactured out in China mostly and are being sold to any importer/retailer that wants so we just see the same old toot being peddled in the UK. Horrid and sadly because they are containerised and sailed over, they are stupidly cheap. Big bucks to be made by the retailers! Some retailers just add their own name to it but basically these are seen on nearly every highstreet, on ebay and online.

Absolultely dreadful and I wouldn't support a seller that sells so many undersized hutches.

People can do sooooo much better than most of those on there.

*bangs head on brick wall*

come on guys, it's not all bad.

I'd have to disagree with you. It is all bad. The largest hutch is only 5ftx1ft10ins, and the starter hutch (what is a starter hutch anyway?) is 3ftx1ft3ins!! The "large" run is less than 4ft square.

I'd have to disagree with you. It is all bad. The largest hutch is only 5ftx1ft10ins, and the starter hutch (what is a starter hutch anyway?) is 3ftx1ft3ins!! The "large" run is less than 4ft square.

My thoughts entirely, and there is no such thing as a starter hutch. Rabbits need space so why waste money on one that isn't big enough when you first get rabbits, when you know that they will grow and need a bigger one in the end. Absolute nonsense.

You need to go to specsavers.

From the RSPCA websites i visit quite a few of those hutches (doubles and ones with runs underneath) comply with their standards.

Not saying that all do, but why does so many people immediately dismiss everything just because you may not like it.

If it complys with the RSPCA requirements then you shouldnt be having a go.

From the RSPCA websites i visit quite a few of those hutches (doubles and ones with runs underneath) comply with their standards.

Not saying that all do, but why does so many people immediately dismiss everything just because you may not like it.

RSPCA guidelines are 6ftx2ft. :? I looked at all of those hutches and there was nothing above 5ft, and most weren't 2ft wide. :?

I think you should be the one to visit the opticians. :roll:

Which ones comply with their standards - I do need to put my glasses on as I can't see any (could be missing something).

RSPCA guidelines are 6ftx2ft. :? I looked at all of those hutches and there was nothing above 5ft, and most weren't 2ft wide. :?

I think you should be the one to visit the opticians. :roll:

Check these measurements

if you go to the bottom section of an RSPCA website it recommends the following sellers, which are selling some of the same hutches from Trixie your talking about this company are selling.

Now i wouldn't recommend some of these hutches but you cannot go around saying these arent good enough when the RSPCA say they are. (and i wouldn't buy them myself having learned that its better to have a 6ft double like i have)

Taken off RSPCA website................................

Suitable Accommodation

The golden rule is that your bunnies’ accommodation can never be too big!

Rabbits love to run loose in the garden – many of you will have seen the sheer pleasure your bunny gets from running full pelt down the garden, twisting and jumping and kicking their back legs in the air. However this access should be supervised as rabbits are at risk from many predators, most obviously from foxes and other known predators but also from neighbourhood cats.

Safe and secure accommodation must therefore also be provided. The minimum recommended hutch size for two average sized rabbits is 5 foot long x 2 foot deep x 2 foot 6 inches high. The height is particularly important to enable your bunny to sit up on its hind legs.

...........................................................................................

There are obviously other websites that supply hutches, but here are a few we found that have good sized hutches. We cannot vouch for the quality however, only the sizes.

The Rabbit Hutch Shop

Mr Bun

Forsham Cottage Arks

Rabbit Hutch Warehouse

Kernow Pet Housing

Check these measurements

if you go to the bottom section of an RSPCA website it recommends the following sellers, which are selling some of the same hutches from Trixie your talking about this company are selling.

Now i wouldn't recommend some of these hutches but you cannot go around saying these arent good enough when the RSPCA say they are. (and i wouldn't buy them myself having learned that its better to have a 6ft double like i have)

Taken off RSPCA website................................

Suitable Accommodation

The golden rule is that your bunnies’ accommodation can never be too big!

Rabbits love to run loose in the garden – many of you will have seen the sheer pleasure your bunny gets from running full pelt down the garden, twisting and jumping and kicking their back legs in the air. However this access should be supervised as rabbits are at risk from many predators, most obviously from foxes and other known predators but also from neighbourhood cats.

Safe and secure accommodation must therefore also be provided. The minimum recommended hutch size for two average sized rabbits is 5 foot long x 2 foot deep x 2 foot 6 inches high. The height is particularly important to enable your bunny to sit up on its hind legs.

...........................................................................................

There are obviously other websites that supply hutches, but here are a few we found that have good sized hutches. We cannot vouch for the quality however, only the sizes.

The Rabbit Hutch Shop

Mr Bun

Forsham Cottage Arks

Rabbit Hutch Warehouse

Kernow Pet Housing

But all of these sellers have at least one 6ftx2ft hutch. This place doesn't even have the option of a 6ft hutch, and most of them aren't 2ft deep.
It's just making people think that there is nothing bigger, so it must be ok! :evil: How can you put this place in a league with Forsham Cottage, Kernow Pet housing and Ryedale hutches.

....there's NO comparison! If more sellers sold bigger hutches, then sooner or later the smaller ones would become obsolete! It's about educating people! I was talking to the guy from Ryedale and he was saying how many people went for his larger hutches (6 or 7ft ones) over the smaller ones, because there is a choice of them!! :roll:

and I'm sure this meets the minimum requirements for a hutch.

But the hutch part is only about 3ft square and the rest of it would be considered a run as it's not all weather and would require modification to be all weather.

I do not rehome to these as they are.

Press release from the PDSA this week....

Rae Todd of the RWA circulated this to the members as the RWA is working very closely with the welfare agencies to try and improve the standard of accommodation currently available. This was in a direct response to the Argos state of affairs.

"Sean Wensley, PDSA Senior Veterinary Surgeon, says:
Good news - the PDSA have released the following statement in support of the RWAF's 'Argos' campaign.

“PDSA, the UK’s leading veterinary charity, is concerned that hundreds of thousands of pet rabbits currently face an unhappy, lonely existence in cramped accommodation.

Under the Animal Welfare Act (2006), owners have a legal duty of care towards their pet rabbits, which includes providing them with a hutch that is large enough for two rabbits to be able to lie down fully stretched, to be able to rear up on their hind legs without their ears touching the top and to be able to do at least three hops from end to end. In addition, they need daily access to a safe and secure exercise run in which they can stretch upwards to their full height and be able to run, not just hop. PDSA recommends that hutches should be at least 6ft x 2ft x 2ft high and that runs should be at least 8ft x 4ft x 2ft high.

PDSA is disappointed at the availability of hutches and runs that are too small and prevent owners being able to meet their rabbits’ welfare needs. The charity will continue to raise awareness of the moral and legal duty of care amongst rabbit owners. Most rabbit owners want their pets to lead healthy and happy lives, and PDSA is committed to educating owners on the need for rabbits to have spacious, suitable accommodation. The charity believes that such awareness-raising amongst potential owners, and the creation of demand for appropriately sized hutches and runs, will make them more widely available for purchase.”

at a quick look I've seen people on here use this pen

and I'm sure this meets the minimum requirements for a hutch.

It's 6ft long, by about 3ft I think. Most rescue's won't rehome to this hutch, as it's living area is so small.

Can you imagine a Frenchie or a Conti in ANY of those hutches? :?

Back