• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not drinking water?

Im not sure if im worrying for nothing or not, Lola had a problem with GI Statis last week, She went to the vet and she was basically fine overnight once she's be given some medicine but now Im worried it could be something else, She's eating hay and pellets fine but her water is going basically untouched and I have no clue what this could be... and as per usual i'm starting to panic :(

Does she have a bottle or a bowl?

Have you been giving her more fresh or more time on the grass or anything recently?

She has a bottle and I fill it fresh every morning and afternoon.
And she's been eating some grass when she's in her run but no more than normal and she had a bit of fresh veg but again not more than she normally has :(

Give her a bowl and see if she drinks from that.

Also, have you tapped the bottle where she drinks and check the water is coming out.

Okay thanks, I'll give her a bowl, I suppose a bowl is way more natural for rabbits anyway :)
And yes, it's working alright, I brought in new a few weeks ago.

I have no idea what to do right now, Im going to try and syringe feed her some water and then see if she drinks some overnight but if not then off to the vets, I'm kind of worried about her breathing as well. :(:(

Maybe try offering some different options of water and see if she takes some of those.

You can try a tiny drop of vanilla essence, or some freshly squeezed juice (or, at a push, a tiny tad of juice you buy, as long as all the ingredients are safe for bunnies).

Always ensure you offer plain water too.

What vets do you use?

Okay I'll try some of that.
I use Trinity Vet's, It's not too bad but Im not sure how much the vet actually knows about rabbits so that does worry me :?

Okay I'll try some of that.
I use Trinity Vet's, It's not too bad but Im not sure how much the vet actually knows about rabbits so that does worry me :?

In Maidstone? Which vet do you see? I'm pretty sure Mark's the only exotics vet in Kent so you should be fine with him.

Oh I see, I thought that couldn't be the case! The Trinity Vets in Maidstone have always been excellent. Could you start a topic on here asking for recommendations if you feel unsure about your vets?

I would go back to my original suggestion of changing and seeing Charles at Orwell Vets. They are not as knowledgable as some vets in the UK, but the best I can find in the area (and due to what I do I have heard many things and learnt a lot about many other vets around).

Back