• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need a cheap hutch... (doesn't everyone)

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
A very close family member has a gorgeous bun called Ruby but unfortunately she's had a rat problem and the rats have actually chewed into the hutch and attacked her!

She's covered the whole hutch with wire mesh to stop it getting in again but it's not very nice for her to live in any more. She had a big hutch run combo in the garden but the rats destroyed that so now she's confined to the smaller hutch and although she has access to a run during the day I feel so sorry for her every time I'm round. The council are apparently dealing with the rats (no poison) and I just really want to make her life more comfortable.

I've found quite a nice chicken run thing on ebay in my area but it's not really ideal as she's a big bun and the living space is quite small. Does anyone know of anywhere selling or giving away a fairly large hutch? It doesn't have to be perfect as long as there are no huge rat holes all over it!

Sorry no advice about a hutch (i'd like one or two myself) but would your sister consider a cat?? I worried about mice etc with all the animals I have outside and in the shed but my two cats have managed to keep us and the neighbours vermin free.

when you say the rabbit as attacked her as it bitten her or broke her skin then she needs penicillin asap:D

If she's as overun as it seems I'd really consider poison! It's not ideal...but for everyu rat you see there are tens more underground!

Could Ruby not be an indoor bun? Sorry I can't help! I've just offered my big hutch to a rescue.

when you say the rabbit as attacked her as it bitten her or broke her skin then she needs penicillin asap:D

It bit her ear and she has a little slit in it. :(

She's okay now, she's a little feisty bun and I'm sure she did more damage to the rat.

They can't really put poison down because of the cats and obviously Ruby too. Apparently the guy on ebay has been offered £40 by someone and if it doesn't sell for what he wants then this person can have it. Which means if I bid and win it for £25 he's not actually going to give it to me... even though you're not allowed to do that.

It bit her ear and she has a little slit in it. :(

She's okay now, she's a little feisty bun and I'm sure she did more damage to the rat.

They can't really put poison down because of the cats and obviously Ruby too. Apparently the guy on ebay has been offered £40 by someone and if it doesn't sell for what he wants then this person can have it. Which means if I bid and win it for £25 he's not actually going to give it to me... even though you're not allowed to do that.

I would get the rabbit checked as regards the bite. I lost a rabbit recently to a rat bite, if you want to phone me on 07801 186174 then I can tell you in detail or get my vet to tell you

I would get the rabbit checked as regards the bite. I lost a rabbit recently to a rat bite, if you want to phone me on 07801 186174 then I can tell you in detail or get my vet to tell you

Thank you for your concern but she will have taken Ruby to the vets. The woman is absolutely animal mad and I trust her implicitly with the care of her animals. :)

Back