• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Clover?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Can rabbits eat this? I've had mixed responses from looking it up on google. It's the kind you find in your garden. I don't know if there are multiple types. My rabbit was nibbling on it the other day and want to check it isn't going to give her any tummy upset.

Also with regards to plants which are not weeds, do rabbits have any kind of sense for what is bad for them, or will they eat anything?

Thanks.
Ambience

Clover that grows in your lawn is fine for buns :D
(Make sure it is definitely clover small 3 leaves rounded, and not buttercups (ranunculus) jagged edged leaves growing in your lawn as it does ours - regularly have to dig that one out! :roll:)

As to wild plants and knowing those which are safe and which aren't... Well it is thought that domestic rabbits may have lost this instinct to some extent - it will depend on the rabbit. Some are pretty savvy. But no, I would not trust a domestic bun to not eat something poisonous - I say this because one of my bun's quite happily tucked into a cuckoo pint plant on holiday at my parent's place:roll:, and daffodils (although it really is only the bulb that you need to worry about), he is a silly bunny I can't believe I missed that plant in my dad's lawn - bun got the shock of his life it must have been terribly bitter from the face he pulled, thankfully he was ok. However, when the laurel drops the odd leaf here they leave well alone, same with nextdoor's Wisteria.
It also depends on native plants and those which are imported. Wild buns would know from native plants which to eat and which not to, but not suprisingly would be confused by plants not native to this country - which many of us buy from garden centres for our gardens!

Best thing to do is try and identify every plant in your garden, remove the really poisonous ones if you can or fence them off, and try and plant as many bunny safe plants instead. :)

Thanks good idea :) I didn't think about doing the garden out with bunny safe plants and herbs etc . Good Plan will try that. I'm still not sure what weeds are dangerous. I've allowed the garden to grow abit wild this year so the buns have some longer grass to play in, but there are some odd looking weeds i don't know what they are.

but there are some odd looking weeds i don't know what they are.

Post some pics if you like! Lots of planty people on here who can help. Or, buy a wildflower book of Britain - one with photos not illustrations. I have a fab one which is very helpful. :)

Back