• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on Brownie & advice please

KateB

Mama Doe
Today is day 29 of Brownie's headtilt/ec.

In some ways she's got a lot better - she eats for herself (lots of hay so nice golden poos now), attempts to wash her face (this doesn't always work quite right) but generally manages some grooming, and her head is mostly at around 45 degrees to the right rather than 90. She's very friendly when she's up and about - trying to get up to her usual levels of mischief, and has a habit of standing on my feet!:love: She says thank you for the vibes people sent.:wave:

But she still has several, sometimes extended, rolling episodes a day :( and seems to have some muscle weakness and wastage on one hind leg (on the uppy side) :( We're trying to help her exercise this leg but it very much depends on her mood as to how successful this is.

We've now finished the extended courses of baytril & metacam, she's still on Stemetil injections (thanks for the tip Jack's-Jane - it works better than the metaclop'), and we're uncertain about whether to continue to panacur given the discussions at the RWAF conference at the weekend (our vet attended as well).

So where do we go from here?

Is there anything else we can do for her? - to improve her head tilt or her balance and to prevent any secondary problems developing & what should we be on the lookout for? (I'm worried about her getting sore hocks as her weight distribution & gait are now all funny). Are things like physio/massage etc likely to be helpful?

Any & all advice on accommodation options for her would be much appreciated - she & Willow can't occupy a pen in our dining room forever (Willow is definitely an outdoor bun, and he keeps escaping from the pen). I've put a thread up in Housing for this.

Please help!

So nobody can help then?

Desperate pregnant woman here - it's getting harder to get to floor level to look after them, and we need to sort their new pad before the baby arrives.....so in the next 8-9 weeks!

sorry mate I have no idea, just wanted to bump the thread for you, hope your lovely Brownie keeps improving xxx

sorry I can't help, but have you read the threads about EC in health especially Mimi's? You could try asking Gemmapookie as she is in a similar situation?

Sounds like you're in an awful situation, sending vibes xx

Sorry Kate not seen this thread..

If you move them back outside you need to make sure she is on one level..also soft flooring..so may need to get some type of cushion flooring and have loads of towels and things as you do indoors..this will protect her if she rolls and from sore hocks...will need to protect from wind and rain and cushion all hard edges and corners...so similar to what is indoors but out

I would say gently exercise her weak leg if you can as it can aid movement recovery

Also re the panacur..4 weeks should be enough but it won't hurt her to continue a bit longer if you feel happier with it
Her head angle is encouraging as that is an improvement.
You have done so well with her..I'll think on this further and get back to you xx

Back