• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a healthy bun get flystrike??

I'm paranoid too! I clean the litters every day because they are in my spare room and start to pong if I don't :shock:

I check their bums every day as well .. as the little randy boy Carlo sits in wee and it worries me:cry:

Horrid flies.How come bunnies get them.Why not any other pet too like ferrets and guinea pigs???Not that I want them to get it but it seems fly strike is only for rabbits.

Horrid flies.How come bunnies get them.Why not any other pet too like ferrets and guinea pigs???Not that I want them to get it but it seems fly strike is only for rabbits.

Guinea pigs can get flystrike. In theory, many animals can. Flies are attracted to poo, wee and dirty environments in general.

Guinea pigs can get flystrike. In theory, many animals can. Flies are attracted to poo, wee and dirty environments in general.

There was a very old German Shepherd at the vets being PTS yesterday. She was riddled with maggots. Absolutely tragic.

If you clean them out every other day, can they get it??
Im paranoid.

yes they can to stop paranoia order rear gaurd from the vets unlike the on the shelf products it not only repels flys but it actually stops any laid eggs from hatching thus preventing the maggots and fly strike it is prescription only. x

Hmmm...I'm wondering whether to get Rearguard for my Frank. He has no incisors to assist with grooming himself and his furry skirt round his bum can get matted and I have to trim it.

yes they can to stop paranoia order rear gaurd from the vets unlike the on the shelf products it not only repels flys but it actually stops any laid eggs from hatching thus preventing the maggots and fly strike it is prescription only. x

It wont repel flies, only prevent the maggots developing. Neem oil or citronella will help repel the flies though.

yes they can still get it, rearguard helps PREVENT,

It never amazes me how quick the lil blighters can grow and spread, I've never had a case myself yet, but mums long haired cat caught it last year, now being old the hot weather turned her stools runny if it wasnt for the fact mum was checking every evening before the cats dinner lords knows, she rang me in a tiz as i told her about buns getting she wasnt sure on other animal lucky they were very few and tiny, so didnt need vet treatment

I found while people will say use fly traps etc they I find attract more flies because well thats the aim to catch them on the tape, so be carefull if you buy such things were you place them,

I use to put lavender mint and sage in pots all round the run or hutch to deter them

obviously regular cleaning too

I was musing this when I put them in the runs earlier cos I was considering putting nets round the sides but the things is, IF a fly gets in they then can't get out. I think cleanliness should be the first port of call.

Back