• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dreading the vets later =[

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
My 4 bun's are supposed to be going in to have their first set of injections for this year, but Sapphire hasn't been so well the past few days.

When clipping her nails the other day one randomly dropped off, I noticed she smells a little bit funny compared to the others, and her nose is runny... this has got worse since yesterday too =[ I picked her up this evening and listened to her breathing and it doesn't sound right. She has never had problems with a runny nose before. I'm certain the vets are going to confirm a significant weight loss since last year, and she is quite boney but this has been put down to her age and the fact she could be a lot older than thought.

Not wanting to speculate too much, does anyone have an idea what this could be? Her eyes are both fine, her appetite seems fine... I haven't seen her eating hay as much as she usually does, however, but she's wolfed down her morning pellets and evening vegetables as per usual.

Lou xx

Now back from the vets...Sapphire has snuffles. She's now on Baytril twice a day, and Bio Lapis. The vet did comment about her weight, as she is now 1.6kg where-as this time last year she was 2.1. She does think she may be an elderly rabbit, and Sapphire has to go back in two weeks with the others so she can have her vaccination as she obviously couldn't have it today, if she is no better by the weekend she'll be going back for blood tests. Please keep the vibes coming xx

Lots and lots of get well vibes to Sapphire :love: lets hope she perks up and starts eating better and outting weight on soon x

I think two weeks time is a bit soon for a myxi vac. It can sometimes take a 6 weeks course of Baytril to have any real effect and I'd want her in tip top condition before I compromised her immune system with a vaccine.

Hope your little girl is feeling better soon.

I think two weeks time is a bit soon for a myxi vac. It can sometimes take a 6 weeks course of Baytril to have any real effect and I'd want her in tip top condition before I compromised her immune system with a vaccine.

Hope your little girl is feeling better soon.

Thanks for that, I will see if this is the general attitude of everyone else before I confirm with the vets that she will be getting her myxi vaccs then.

Thank you for the vibes everyone, really appreciate it.

Lou xx

Back