• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metacam and Diarrhoea?/ UD post 23

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone elses bunny experienced diarrhoea as a side effect of Metacam :?

I really don't think this is the case here, but the only thing that has changed recently is the introduction of metacam so was just wondering....

Last edited:
I just got your text :cry: I hope she will be ok :( Poor girl has been through so much. Ive never had any bunnies get diarrhoea from metacam here, though i havent used it many times. Sending vibes xxxx

I just got your text :cry: I hope she will be ok :( Poor girl has been through so much. Ive never had any bunnies get diarrhoea from metacam here, though i havent used it many times. Sending vibes xxxx

I never have and we have had so many bunnies on it long term :?

I have thought there was something wrong with her abdomen for awhile but the vets are convinced it is fine and the problem is her hips :?

She is completely well in herself, which is also strange

Inca had awful diarrhoea yesterday but I can't say for sure that it was the metacam that did it although the vet did say it can be a side effect :(

Oliver had a shot of metacam and it made his poo go darker (I'm assuming it was the metacam - I did ask on here but generally got ignored). It didn't give him diarrhoea though. It was only the one shot though so I'm not sure how it would affect your bunny if they were having it regulary!

Hope everything works out okay though :)

Thanks, she has been on it since Thursday :?

I did wonder if it was the heat, but again never had a bunny develop diarrhoea because of it, and all the other buns are fine. I also thought that she would be ill in herself if it was the heat :?

I've never seen it as a side effect either. Robert is allergic to Metacam, but that affected his skin. I hope she is better soon!

Merlin had diarhoea when he was on metacam the vet believed it was because he was being syringe fed and that caused it.

Merlin had diarhoea when he was on metacam the vet believed it was because he was being syringe fed and that caused it.

Roxy is eating perfectly normally, so I'm not sure whats happening. I am keeping a very careful eye this evening as worried about flies and dehydration and will be ringing vets as soon as they open.

I don't have any rabbits on metacam long term-actually I don't have any on metacam long term ( Una is on it but sadly it won't be long term)- but I wouldn't be surprised if it can affect bunnies that way, it can do it to dogs and cats as well as make them sick. It just depends on how it affectsthe individual, our old lab had side affects to it that weren't even mentioned, but as soon as he was put onto old fashioned steroids he was fine!:shock:

I don't have any rabbits on metacam long term-actually I don't have any on metacam long term ( Una is on it but sadly it won't be long term)- but I wouldn't be surprised if it can affect bunnies that way, it can do it to dogs and cats as well as make them sick. It just depends on how it affectsthe individual, our old lab had side affects to it that weren't even mentioned, but as soon as he was put onto old fashioned steroids he was fine!:shock:

Oooh yes, you just reminded me! My cat, Suki (Princess Pea) had it for a while to help with her old age joint pain, but she did vomit on it so we stopped it on the vets recommendation.

If its happened since you added Metacam and she is on any other meds, I wonder if it is too much for her system to tolerate? So its more the bodies reaction to too many meds (possibly all at once)?

Badger couldn't tolerate Zithromax when given with his other meds (Fibreplex, Metacam and Corvental) and got gas, and then he also couldn't tolerate it straight after pellets (he got mega nasty diarrhoea), but could tolerate it mid afternoon with fresh hay and exercise straight after and grass about 15-30 mins later.

So could it be a combination of meds being an issue?

If its happened since you added Metacam and she is on any other meds, I wonder if it is too much for her system to tolerate? So its more the bodies reaction to too many meds (possibly all at once)?

Badger couldn't tolerate Zithromax when given with his other meds (Fibreplex, Metacam and Corvental) and got gas, and then he also couldn't tolerate it straight after pellets (he got mega nasty diarrhoea), but could tolerate it mid afternoon with fresh hay and exercise straight after and grass about 15-30 mins later.

So could it be a combination of meds being an issue?

No, she is only on metacam as the vet diagnosed a problem with her hips last week. But I sent her to the vet because I thought there was a problem more in her abdomen area :?

She has a lot of nasty seizures but besides having had a course of panacur and metacam for that a few months back thats it. She was fine with the metacam then but it was a smaller dose :?

Steve is at the vets now with her. They didn't have any appointments so they said to just go and wait, I expect he will go back to sleep in the waiting room, he normally does :roll::lol:

Not good news :(

The vet suspects malabsorption due to cancer :cry::cry: She has been kept in and put on a drip and is having x-rays. Like us the vet is mystified at how she seems completely well in herself and is eating and drinking normally and hoping around quite happily :? However she is dehydrated, hardly surprising considering the weather and has lost weight since last week despite having a ferocious appetite:(

I have had a niggling feeling about this for weeks and cancer did cross my mind. We sent her for a full check up and the vet gave the all clear from her abdomen and diagnosed problems with her hips.

I am now waiting for the phone to ring and hoping the vet and I are both wrong. Poor Roxy already had so many problems to deal with. On top of everything she is also needing a dental very soon :(

oh no, Esme, is eating like a horse although she always has but she never stops. When she goes in the run she never moves around much just eats. I will have to start weighing her to see how she is.

oh no, Esme, is eating like a horse although she always has but she never stops. When she goes in the run she never moves around much just eats. I will have to start weighing her to see how she is.

That might be a good idea. I was worried about Roxy's appetite too, but was hoping it was normal greedy rex.:?

There is still a chance we are all wrong, fingers crossed:)

Back