• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flystrike case at work today

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
A poor 3 year old pregnant doe :(

*Luckily* the maggots (and there were lots) had not yet penetrated the skin. It was just as the very base of her tail, which is now extremely sore :cry:

One thing I HATE about the warm weather! :cry:

Awwwhh. :(

I've been checking my buns religiously three times a day since mid february! :lol: I took Cloud in to have her stitches out on saturday and the vet checked her over and told me they'd already had 30+ flystrike cases this year. :shock:

Awwwhh. :(

I've been checking my buns religiously three times a day since mid february! :lol: I took Cloud in to have her stitches out on saturday and the vet checked her over and told me they'd already had 30+ flystrike cases this year. :shock:

:shock:

My biggest fear. We used to take our old rabbit to the vets and had the fur trimmed around his rear end. Didn't want to risk anything like that.

One of my biggest worries. Even with all mine indoors! I can't believe that one vets has come across 30+ cases already! That's awful.

probably a stupid question but do flies go to bed? and if they do what time?

ive never been overly worried but i HAD to open my house up today and i think one fly came in but it never went upstairs... is it akip in my house now somewhere *shudders*

I'm dreading this summer. My buns, as I've said before just get too stressed when I catch them and manhandle them. I just can't do it. I'm concentrating on keeping them clean, sniffing butts and using fly paper. Just know I'm gonna live in constant fear all summer. How common is it in clean, healthy buns?? Oh no don't tell me in case I don't like the answer.

No do! Do tell me! I have to know.

No don't!

No do - but only if it's good news!!

Oh my babies!! Lord, please protect their little butts for me from flies! :shock:

I'm terrified of flystrike as this is my first rabbit in a long time and I always panic I'm not checking properly etc. I've just starting using a flystrike repellent which is once every 7 days so will see how that goes. I've noticed that Selina is not pooing as much but is eating and drinking just fine. She has pooed today and she pooed yesterday but it's not like tons of nuggets. I'm keeping an eye on it though.

I hate fly strike. I might be vegan but I have no time for flies and maggots (wouldn't go so far as putting up those awful fly papers tho that are just nasty). I have spent hours of my life painstakingly picking maggots and fly eggs off hedgehogs as they are really prone to it:cry:. I'd say that overweight buns, hairy buns and buns with sloppy poo are far more likely to get fly strike. There are some here that I know are on the 'at risk' list. With hairy bunnies I trim the fur around their bottoms to lessen the risk and I don't feed any of the bunnies cabbage family type veg. We also have the blue fly lights in the animal hospital that electrocutes them! Sorry flies.

Horrid, horrid, horrid.

Ugh god i HATE flies. I live by a lake and we just got mobbed by them last summer, it gets sooooo hot here though we had no choice but to leave the windows open for the buns :evil:
Luckily last summer we had 2 healthy happy buns but now I have a sick bun to worry about :( Im thinking of getting some kind of mosquito type netting for my windows so we can still have them open but no nasty insects can get in.

One of my biggest worries. Even with all mine indoors! I can't believe that one vets has come across 30+ cases already! That's awful.

I know. I guess the flies come out a bit earlier down here. There also aren't many vets so it doesn't surprise me that they say they've seen so many cases. :(

Or maybe they were just trying to get me to buy loads of Rearguard.......... :lol:

i'm worried about it, I check my two a lot but I am not entirley sure what it is I am looking out for, can anyone shine any light? :?

I have found more problems with flies and bunnies with urine problems. They seem more attracted to urine incontinent bunnies than bunnies with poo problems :?

Last year I had a bunny smoothered in eggs for 4 days in a row who was completely clean. I have no idea what attracted them to her. They were at the base of her tail and all the way up her back, nothing underneath, very strange.

i'm worried about it, I check my two a lot but I am not entirley sure what it is I am looking out for, can anyone shine any light? :?

The eggs are like tiny grains of rice, slightly brown in colour. I find them very difficult to see in agouti bunnies. Once they are maggots you can't miss them :( As well as checking underneath always push the tail down to check very base of spine

Is it worth me trimming Smudge's bum? He VERY furry down there but I'm really scared to do it. So how would i go about it?

If hes clean and dry, and not prone to the squits, or urinary incontinence, theres no need to trim him. My personal opinion of flystrike death, is that it's the ONLY condition we can 100% prevent, and that prevention costs nothing except the time it takes to check their bums several times a day.

Back