• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I know when it's safe to leave them?

Janey

Warren Veteran
How do i know when it's safe to leave my newly bonded bunnys together? I first put them together on Saturday evening and stayed with them all night and then the next morning. Since then when I have been in they are together and when I'm out they are right next to each other in their cages.

There hasn't been any grooming or anything but they do sit and lie next to each other and there hasn't been any fighting at all and no humping for 24 hours (this was only minimal anyway). When would be the right time to a) leave them together without me being around and b) move them back into my flat (where they will free roam) as although it will be cleaned it's been Poppy's home for a year so obv it's not neutral territory.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

When you bring them back, don't give them free roam straight away keep them a bit more confined, I used a puppy play pen for the first 48 hours:)

Also you will need to neutralise as much of where the bunnies are gonna be, I would suggest giving them more space gradually as oppose to just letting them free range straight away, (this will also help with toilet training if needed:))

I personally would sleep on the sofa maybe if that was gonna be okay to do!

I had a rescue do my bonding so someone with more experience should be along soon:wave:

Good luck is lovely having a bonded pair:love:

Usually with a pair you can leave them after 48 - 72 hours if there has been no aggression in the previous 24 hours.

From what you have said it would appear that you have bonded them on your own territory. I would leave them for another 48 hours before moving them or extending their space.

Where ever they are going to be only VERY slowly increase there space and always ensure that everything is totally neutral.

If they are indoor buns and they are to be on carpet be very careful, it might be worth putting thoroughly cleaning the carpet and then allowing to dry and putting cardboard over it for a little while.

It is better to be over cautious with increasing their space rather than do it too quickly.

Hello,

Thank you both for replying.

I think what I will do is keep them in their neutral space until the bank holiday weekend and then thoroughly clean the flat and them bring them home (they're at my Mum and Dad's house at the moment).

Although I will keep them in the kitchen at first I did envisage that the rest of the flat which is carpeted would be the biggest problem. Perhaps it would be best to clean the carpet as you suggested then put cardboard down for a while-gosh, this bunny bonding really isn't plain sailing is it, takes over your life (it'll all be worth it if it works well in the end)!!

What would I clen the carpet with, a normal carpet cleaning solution from the supermarket?

Normal carpet cleaner should be ok, just check on the instructions if it is hazardous to animals. When they get to your place keep them in a restricted space for 48 hours then slowly increase the space from then. It is definately worth it in the long run.

Back