• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

deleted - admin please remove

Claire, you sound really upset. I'm glad you are thinking about what's best for the buns and it won't be easy but whatever is best for them is important. Sounds like you've tried a few options and they've sadly failed but it shows you haven't given up without trying things first.

I'm sorry I can't be helpful and I hope others can be of more help.

Chin up and take care. X

Hmm, have you tried anything like using vanilla essence to try and overpower the sense of smell? Maybe you could put some on a tissue just outside the run of those who are fighting and see if that makes a difference?

Most of the time it makes a difference when you put it on their noses, but obviously thats not practical long term, but maybe something like that might be?

Or lavender or something?

Oh hun I'm sorry :( I really hope you can find a way around it, but I don't know what to suggest really. Once the weather cools, is it possible to go back to having one lot upstairs and the others downstairs, and do alternate garden times? Or would a five-some be an option?

I would love them as a fivesome but don't know if that would ever be possible,they hate the sight of each other :?
I have bonded them all so that's 3 times altogether but my nerves wouldn't take doing them all,i think they would fight from the word go and i think Stew and Belle would be the ringleaders :roll:
I hope it's not something i have to do,but i don't want them all to suffer by not being able to have the freedom they deserve either :(

I think you have 3 choices really, rehome those 2, put them outside or put them back upstairs - definitely DO NOT leave them in the same room as the threesome for even another 5 minutes - I wouldn't! My girls have always had to be kept away from my other rabbits for same reason, which does make juggling their run time on the patio a bit of a pain, but I put boards around the other rabbit's hutches and set them back from the patio a little so they can't get close enough for a proper sniff, or all hell breaks loose.

The stress of it nearly killed Benny with giving him stasis a while back, so don't take it lightly if they are fighting now

Could you send them away to be bonded and while they're away try to rearrange their living area and neutralize any familiar smells so they will be on neutral territory when they come home?

Or how about a nice big floor fan or air cooling unit for the bedroom so you can keep them seperated like before? Argos do air coolers starting at about £30.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4159012.htm

Fans are even cheaper. I have two downstairs and my mum lives in a chalet bungalow which is sweltering even at night in summer and she says even her small desk fan helps a lot as long as you have it on oscillate.

Good luck with the bunsters.

Last edited:
Could you send them away to be bonded and while they're away try to rearrange their living area and neutralize any familiar smells so they will be on neutral territory when they come home?

Or how about a nice big floor fan or air cooling unit for the bedroom so you can keep them seperated like before? Argos do air coolers starting at about £30.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4159012.htm

Good luck with the bunsters.

air coolers are dreadful things in my experience though - you have to fill them with ice for them to work (the cheaper ones) and then they just fill the room with humidity, which is even more uncomfortable!

I've got my dehumidifier on ATM and even though it's chucking out heat, it feels cooler somehow, just because your sweat can evaporate - it's really pleasant in my house and we have no fans or open windows at all.

There's no way I'd attempt bonding a 5 if you're a bit cramped for space really, because they do need a lot of space - my girls are always challenging each other over food and chasing about etc - there's a lot of food jealousy connected with me being around :roll: So they do need extra space to stop fighting escalating to something serious - they need furniture to jump on and run behind - boxes etc. to defuse any tensions, and hay piled up in several places not just one area. 5 would need a LOT of space - when I had 5 in my shed one of them got seriously injured just from normal running about when they hadn't got enough room to skip out of each other's way (a spike of hay got rammed into her gum - took months to sort out and cost a fortune)

Some good ideas,thanks everyone :)
Things seem to be calming down a bit dare i say it :?
Dumpling really couldn't care less how many rabbits are in the room with him and has had a look at them and gone back to sleep bless him,Stew who doesn't roam about a lot is sprawled in the crate and Belle is eating hay in the litter tray next to Lb and Ll's cage :shock::shock:,whilst they are munching on hay in theirs :shock:
Has anyone had experience of buns 'learning to get along with their neighbours'? does that ever happen?
It would be nice if they could just tolerate each other even if they can't live as a fivesome.
I hope we can sort something out,even hubby (who insists is not interested in the buns) says it would have to be a last resort to rehome them :)

I've nto got a cooler Elve - don't like the sound of them either now! The fans are great though. And another thing I've just thought of that will help with the heat. A blackout blind for the bedroom.

I've nto got a cooler Elve - don't like the sound of them either now! The fans are great though. And another thing I've just thought of that will help with the heat. A blackout blind for the bedroom.

ok,any ideas for getting them to use an ezi-filla bottle??
I have seen Lucy use it once but never again and Lb won't touch it :roll:
Would be better if they would as they are in the boys room and are VERY noisy with a water bottle :)

have you got anyone near you that could try and bond the 5?? i know you think they cant stand the sight of each other - but mine couldnt either - charlie and oreo had 2 big fights when i tried and Charlie bit mittens through the bars... but when I sent them off to get bonded - charlie and Oreo are fine!!
Ive got my group bonded which i never ever thought woul happen as I thought they hated each other... If you can get them in totally neutral territory i think it might be worth a go - as long as they are all neutered.

Hope you dont have to re-home your buns but i think we can all understand if thats what it takes to keep your origional lot happy xx

have you got anyone near you that could try and bond the 5?? i know you think they cant stand the sight of each other - but mine couldnt either - charlie and oreo had 2 big fights when i tried and Charlie bit mittens through the bars... but when I sent them off to get bonded - charlie and Oreo are fine!!
Ive got my group bonded which i never ever thought woul happen as I thought they hated each other... If you can get them in totally neutral territory i think it might be worth a go - as long as they are all neutered.

Hope you dont have to re-home your buns but i think we can all understand if thats what it takes to keep your origional lot happy xx

I would like to give it a go but don't know of anyone round here that bonds tbh. It's good to hear there are some success stories with grumpy bunnies! they should all play nice! :)

ok,any ideas for getting them to use an ezi-filla bottle??
I have seen Lucy use it once but never again and Lb won't touch it :roll:
Would be better if they would as they are in the boys room and are VERY noisy with a water bottle :)

rabbits should have water in a dish anyway really, to encourage them to drink plenty, so is that a possibility at all? :)

rabbits should have water in a dish anyway really, to encourage them to drink plenty, so is that a possibility at all? :)

The threesome have a bottle and a dish,but Lb and Ll won't drink from a bowl (i think it's cos Lucy doesn't like to get her mane wet ;):):))

Back