• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need to find some hay in the Ipswich, Colchester, Bury St. Edmunds area

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Any ideas?

I need baled hay, and I'm willing to travel up or down the A12 anywhere (as far as Romford/Upminster) or up the A14 from Felixstowe to maybe Newmarket or somewhere.

None of my normal 'haunts' have any hay left at all! I get through 25kg of hay every 5 days or so so I REALLY need some!

Can you get as far as Cambridge? Frenchies saddlery had excellent hay still last weekend (its pricey though . . £6 a bale - but he is very good and it was nice stuff and firm bales) - I can contact him and ask if he still has it if you want . OR if you like I could pick some up and you could come here and collect as I am easy to get to from A14 and he is more complex to find from A14.

I would definitely come to Cambridge, especially on a personal recommendation. I'd be happy to go to either yours or his. Travelling that far, I would probably get about 4 bales (if I could persuade mum to let me borrow her galaxy) which would probably make it easier to go to his.

Do they have a website to look at, or do you have any contact details for them?

My dad lives in Stanton. His next door neighbour has about a million retired sheep, and gets really good quality hay from somewhere (He wrote it down for daddy, so he can get me some) It's not "dust free" but isn't dusty hay at all. About £5 a bale I think.

My dad lives in Stanton. His next door neighbour has about a million retired sheep, and gets really good quality hay from somewhere (He wrote it down for daddy, so he can get me some) It's not "dust free" but isn't dusty hay at all. About £5 a bale I think.

:) awesome. Any chance I could get those details somehow?

I don't think they would come this far :lol: But that's genius, thanks. I may have to take my brother to Upminster on Wed, which would fit right in.

I would definitely come to Cambridge, especially on a personal recommendation. I'd be happy to go to either yours or his. Travelling that far, I would probably get about 4 bales (if I could persuade mum to let me borrow her galaxy) which would probably make it easier to go to his.

Do they have a website to look at, or do you have any contact details for them?

http://www.afrenchandsons.co.uk/

Its not very imaginative as a website:lol: . . . if you ring them and they have some you could either go to them or me :
PM me.

i can pick up 4 bales for you

Can you get as far as Cambridge? Frenchies saddlery had excellent hay still last weekend (its pricey though . . £6 a bale - but he is very good and it was nice stuff and firm bales) - I can contact him and ask if he still has it if you want . OR if you like I could pick some up and you could come here and collect as I am easy to get to from A14 and he is more complex to find from A14.

I was going to suggest them too. We got a couple of lovely bales from them at the weekend.

Thank you very much ladies. Today is the only day this week that I can use mum's car, so I just called French's (given two of you recommended them) and we will be hiking up there today.

The others (especially the South Ockenden one) I'll bear in mind.

Thanks all so much :)

Thank you very much ladies. Today is the only day this week that I can use mum's car, so I just called French's (given two of you recommended them) and we will be hiking up there today.

The others (especially the South Ockenden one) I'll bear in mind.

Thanks all so much :)

Any luck with the hay mission?

Very much so, thank you very much :) What she did say to me though was that what they have there is the last they can get because they were told by this supplier there is no more after that. So just a heads up for you guys in that area.

Oh no! Will have to give them a call soon to see if they have sorted anything out. It's beautiful hay, I'm always tempted to have a liittle nibble myself.

There's probably about 20-30 bales there at the mo (just to give you an idea).

We also met the beautiful dog 'Pup' (?) I think he was called. Gorgeous boy he was. And my mum caused an unfortunate incident than rendered me facedown, legs in the air. :thumb:

I usually get my hay from Hollow tree farm past Hadleigh way but they haven't had any for ages now, Did you find anywhere close ish to Ipswich sky-0 that have bales?????

*bump*

Here we go again. I have noted all these places from before, but any personal recommendations of any good hay around?

My saddlery at Cambridge - Frenchies.

Think you may have tried it before. £7 a bale now but very very very heavy bales!!

Back