• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Noise from Larynx

Amy104

Warren Veteran
My vet has come to the conclusion that the weezing noise if definately not coming from his lungs and that it sounds like the Larynx. He's took him off the Baytril as doesn't want to give him antibiotic unnecessarily. Anyone have any thoughts, vet wants to see how he goes.

I'm sorry I have no advice but bumping it up for you so other more experienced rabbit owners may see.-sue:wave:

When did the wheezing start? Could he have something lodged in the back of his throat or had somthing lodged in the back of his throat that may have broken off and slipped down his trachea? Does bun already have respiratory issues? How long has the wheeze been going for now?

When did the wheezing start? Could he have something lodged in the back of his throat or had somthing lodged in the back of his throat that may have broken off and slipped down his trachea? Does bun already have respiratory issues? How long has the wheeze been going for now?

A previous vet diagnosed him with allergies, almost like hay fever and it is not unusual for him to suffer more at this time of year. I can normally manage it myself with herbal remedies like enchinea. However, I took him to see the vet because the sneezing fits were rather aggressive and his breathing seemed laboured. My new vet was skepticall about the allergies which didn't suprise me as I know vets have differing opinions on this. We tried a week of Baytril (I know this isn't really long enough) as at the time the vet couldn't work out where the noise was from so thought it a safe option to treat him for a URI just in case. I've also changed him onto dust free hay as the bales from our local farm have been a bit dustier than normal and to be honest I think this had a much better effect than the baytril. On our second vet visit the vet said he could hear much better and their was definately no lung infection and that the noise was coming from the larynx.

A previous vet diagnosed him with allergies, almost like hay fever and it is not unusual for him to suffer more at this time of year. I can normally manage it myself with herbal remedies like enchinea. However, I took him to see the vet because the sneezing fits were rather aggressive and his breathing seemed laboured. My new vet was skepticall about the allergies which didn't suprise me as I know vets have differing opinions on this. We tried a week of Baytril (I know this isn't really long enough) as at the time the vet couldn't work out where the noise was from so thought it a safe option to treat him for a URI just in case. I've also changed him onto dust free hay as the bales from our local farm have been a bit dustier than normal and to be honest I think this had a much better effect than the baytril. On our second vet visit the vet said he could hear much better and their was definately no lung infection and that the noise was coming from the larynx.

Would your vet XR your bun? I felt very foolish running to the vet a few weekends ago when my boy suddenly devloped extra noises when he breathed in and was making an odd coughing/vomiting noise......think I'ld made him choke on his breakfast by picking him up when he was chewing!!!
I would have thought any chronic laryngeal problem was outside of the comfort zone for most "average" rabbit vets. Post your location on hear and all the bun experts will let you know of good rabbit savvy vets near you. Good luck xxxx

He said it would be a really hard place to get a decent xray of.

Post your location on hear and all the bun experts will let you know of good rabbit savvy vets near you.

I have every confidence in my vet, but I'm in Bristol anyway so I will ask him to refer me to langford if it gets any worse and we still can't get to the bottom of it.

Badger has Laryngeal issues, although we are unsure exactly what (but the vet has some ideas). Its a hard road to have to go down, if this is the problem you are facing. The vet I saw basically told me that there is nothing they can really do for it as a problem (the problem that Badger has) but we could look to identify exactly what it is, but I don't want to put him through any unnecessary tests when all we would be able to do would be to fire fight the symptoms anyway.

My pm box is open if you need a chat or anything.

Thanks Sky-O, that was exactly mine and my vets thinking to be honest. He is pretty happy in himself and I'd hate myself if I put him through unnecessary stress if there is nothing they can do.

Yeh, its hard because it could benefit future rabbits to know and understand what is going on, but not much can be done to solve the actual problem for ours, and, to be honest, my priority is Badger, especially while he is happy in himself.

Is your bunny on any meds at the moment?

Currently Badger is on a high dose of Metacam for his breathing and any potential inflammation. He used to get distressed when he was having a breathing episode, but he copes better now so I suspect his distress was due to the pain of breathing and its less painful now.

He is also on Corvental which is a broncho-dilator to try and open things up a bit, which has also helped.

On top of that he also has Zithromax, but that is not constant. He gets funny chokey coughs and sometimes deep, old man chesty coughs, and then we start the Zithi straight away to try and prevent any infection taking hold. He has three week courses at a time (we've just finished the first course), as and when he needs them.

When he got his funny cough we found that nebulising could help (we used plain water but also F10SC. In the early days we experimented with Bisolvon but that didn't do anything different from water because he had no mucous). I got a £60 nebuliser from Maplin's and fashioned a chamber using a carry case to nebulise him because he wouldn't tolerate a mask.

His breathing is still pretty rubbish, but better than it has been (thanks to the nice weather!) and I just bought a £20 digital weather station from amazon and am charting his breathing against different temperatures and humidites to work out if there is anything else (like getting air con or a dehumidifier or a humidifier or anything) that I can do to help him.

I have no idea if any of that is of use to you, but thought I'd type it out incase it is :)

You're a star.

He's not on any meds at present because the vet is certain there is no infection. And now I've solved the hay problem his breathing is much better. In fact apart from the noise he's his normal self. I'll def keep this tho as it'll be useful to discuss if he deteriorates.

It doesn't sound like allergies to me at all - I can not imagine they would present in this way with such a laryngeal noise without any associated SOB. :?
Could he have a polyp or growth on his larynx that is causing the sound?
It does sound very odd. I too would ask for a referral to Langford if it is something which concerns you again. Glad change in hay is helping though... dust will always exacerbate any respiratory condition simply by increasing mucus and inflammation.

Back