• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

just found a rabbit in my garden, help!!

spudsmummy

Warren Scout
hi there
wasnt sure where to put this so please move if in the wrong place!

i have just got up and went down stairs, i looked out the kitchen window to look at the lovely sunshine and noticed my to buns going crazy in their hutch.....i went out to see a stunning blue dutch hopping about on my lawn!!!

my garden is rabbit proof, (mine have free run everyday) the only thing that could have happend is someone dumpped it over the 4half foot gate. Yesterday i picked up a new 6.4ftx3x3 hutch for my two so i am guessing someone must have seen us carry this through and thought it would be a good place to dump their bun.

It is reasonably friendly and good condition, i managed to catch it and put it in the new empty hutch, i have given it water but no food as yet.

what should i give it, i dont want to over load its tummy.
Will a vet check it over for free as i have just spent all my money on the hutch yesterday??
Should i put up found posters although it was clearly dumped??

arrgghhh help i am in shock!!

Any adivce would be great, thanks

Last edited:
Hi there.

Does sound like it has been dumped doesn't it. But, I'd still contact all the local vets to see if anyone has lost a bun of that description.

As far as what can you give it, just give loads of hay and maybe a tiny portion of veg and fresh water in case it's not had any. I'd possibly introduce a couple of pellets and see how it goes - just introduce gently. Hay is the most important thing and maybe a small amount of grass.

Not sure if a vet would do a consult for free although they make take the rabbit in as a stray. You could also ask Sue at Southampton Rabbit Rescue if she can help in anyway.

Most importanly, keep the bunny away from your own and use precautionary methods to prevent any cross infection as you don't know what this bunny may be carrying. You could endanger your own - with some infections being carried by contact so clothes etc.

Give your vets a call - see how they can help. Our local RSPCA isn't taking any rabbits in, even strays currently I believe ( I took one they refused last week) so trying a smaller local rescue may be the only answer.

Oh no,
I dont know whether this is the same but i found a stray cat, i rang the vets and they told me i had to ring the R.S.P.C.A which i did, they gave me a reference number i then had to ring the vets back and they checked him over for free, they then asked me if i would keep him or do i want them to hand him over so we kept him, luckily i managed to trace his owner.
Be warned though if you are a bit skint because i payed a £10 donation to the R.S.P.C.A by card as they asked me for a donation when i rang for help. xxxxxxxxxxx:)

goodness! i'm between being delighted that you have a lovely dutch now and horrified that someone could dump such a responsibility onto you. good luck with whatever you decide to do.

i didn't get the whole rabbit - this morning i went out to find that the two poo trays i'd put out to dry after washing, then forgot them, had been used by a visiting rabbit. don't know who he is, but i think he comes round about 11pm as matthew thumps like mad at that time :lol:

If it looks in reasonably good condition it's probably been fed with some sort of rabbit food, I'd give it plenty of hay to begin with and a tiny amount of pellets later to see how he/she goes.

It's unlikely the vets will check him/her for free if you're intending to keep him/her. If you're handing him/her in as a stray it depends on your individual vet - ring and ask. They may ask you to take him/her to a rescue who would vet check it.

I'd stick up posters just in case - you don't know why/who dumped it. Long shot I know but it's good to just in case, especially if it dosen't look neglected. A rabbit can easily jump a 4ft gate - especially a Dutch. Don't describe him, just say a rabbit was found. This ensures that if the real owner comes forward you know they're genuine if they describe him correctly.

I'm sure you've already thought of this but don't let him/her anywhere near your other buns, wash your hands between touching them etc, you don't know what he might have. Good on you for taking him/her in. :wave:

hmmmm i am not sure if i can just hand it over to the rspca but i will ring them and the local vets when they open.
i will also put a few poster up although i am sure its been dumped here. My dutch jessie cant get out of my garden so i doubt this one got in on its own :)

any more advice would be great, thanks

Poor thing. I wouldn't hand any animal over the RSPCA as I would be too scared of them PTS due to lack of space. :( Maybe a local rescue can take it or at least put it on the waiting list if you can't keep it.

I think you should get him/her checked with a vet/rescue-not least to see if bun may have been dumped if pregnant, unless you are confident in checking that yourself.
4 and a half foot is a decent sized fence and not many buns would do a standing jump over that, unless they had a run at it or could maybe scramble over it if being chased by-say-a cat. (if chased by a fox I sadly doubt they would be here),as cats chase for fun while foxes chase for food. So it could still be someones loved and missing pet so I think you should do all you can to try to locate the owner-websites for lost pets, local shop ad, notify local vets etc.
sue:wave:

I am just off to the local vets with it now to get it scanned and checked over. they will then put it on there records. I will put some posters up in the shops etc but just saying a rabbit not what type.
It is a stunning rabbit, very friendly.

I will let you know what happends

thanks everyone

I think my bun was a right rare one, he managed to get over a five foot fence from maybe a foot runup :shock: This was a few years ago when I had buns outside. Thought he was safe with such a high fence. I know Rachy89 has some fantastic jumpers too. (And has had some interesting issues with them :lol:)

Maybe you should just keep him ;)

Really? Wow! I was just speaking from experience. (I guess its a bit like humans- most of us can't clear 5ft-but athletes do!:lol::) )-sue:wave:

Really? Wow! I was just speaking from experience. (I guess its a bit like humans- most of us can't clear 5ft-but athletes do!:lol::) )-sue:wave:

He was a right nutter that one, he was of uncertain ancestry, was a definite Dutch but he got picked up by a friend of mine as a stray who kept escaping from the neighbours (they didn't give too hoots about the poor soul) and was forever trying to get out from me too.

I wish I could clear 5ft! :lol:

Sorry Spudsmummy, I seem to have hijacked your thread :oops:

Last edited:
just got back from the vets.
its a female...she is not microchipped i am guessing there is no way of tell if she is neuted or not.
she looks healthy, she is friendly.
I will put some posters up later just incase she is someones missing pet.

I dont know what to do for the best really. what would everyone else do??

its a female...she is not microchipped i am guessing there is no way of tell if she is neuted or not.

Keep her! :oops:

Whoever put her in your garden knew she'd have a nice life. I really do think someone spotted that you are a caring rabbit owner and decided to give you a gift of an unwanted pet.

Keep her! :oops:

Whoever put her in your garden knew she'd have a nice life. I really do think someone spotted that you are a caring rabbit owner and decided to give you a gift of an unwanted pet.

yeah just wish they had left some details with her, if i knew i could bond her with my 2 eventually i would keep her but i dont know if she is neuted or had jabs or anything :(

If she's neutered she should have a spay scar...vet might be able to feel it or see it if her tummy was shaved. Did the vet have any idea how old she is?

As for what to do with her, it's your choice. If you have the space, money, energy :)lol:) and want to keep her then I don't see why not, assuming no-one comes forward to claim her. It's unlikely to happen but it's good to keep it in mind. If you don't want to/can't keep her someone mentioned a rescue near you I think?

i asked the vet about age but she didnt know and said she couldnt tell if she has any scares. I have to say i dont use that vets myself but as its my local one and they offered to check her for free i went up there.

If i do keep her i will have her checked over properly to find out more. :roll:

It is very difficult to age a bun, once they get past the baby and teenageage and have reached sexual maturity (boys) there are really no markers to go on. Spay scars can also heal very well but should still be noticable when shaved, however I think it's likely she hasn't been if she was dumped.

Well the panic is over!!
the posters worked and it was a bun from the new people whole moved in behind me. She must have jumped over her pen and some how got into my garden.
the lady she has never had a rabbit jump the pen before but on looking at it its only 2ft high, lol

Right i am off to re rabbit proof my garden to make sure mine dont ever get out!!

Arrggghhh what a fuss!! glad she has got a home though and she wasnt just dumped!! Just a coincidence with the new hutch!! I feel a bit of a fool now but hey these things happen

thanks for all the fab adivce

Back