• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poll: I need a name!

My name should be...

• Caoir

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Eilidh

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Isean-Eala

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Oidhche

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Raineach

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Rionnag

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • None of them - they all suck!

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters

Coineanach

Wise Old Thumper
This is Velvet
2010_0118may20100001.jpg

Who we're adopting during the summer. :D As you can see she already has a name but I thought she deserved a new one (I hope Angie dosen't mind :oops: and that I pinched her photo too :oops:)

Sooo, we've been having a chat and thought I would ask the opinions of you lot. All the names we've thought of are in Gaelic as I love the language. If anyone comes up with any other suggestions please add :) I haven't put my accents in either because I'm running too many things and something will crash if I open word.

Oh yes, and if she gets here and I decide none of the names suit her, I'll just scrap them all. :lol: I think a lot about my animal names.

Translation service (in alphabetical order);

Caoir - Blaze
Eilidh - Light
Isean-Eala - Swan/Cygnet. Cygnus is a black hole.
Oidhche - Night
Raineach - Bracken
Rionnag - Star

I did think about calling her adhbrann (ankle) after a comment about them on her first thread but decided against it ;):lol:

Oidhche - Night
Just had to google the pronunciation :oops:
She is divine :love::love::love:
But I'm of the Rex persuasion!

Oops, I never even thought of that. Wot a numpty :oops: Some of them won't sound quite right because there are sounds in Gaelic which don't exist in English. (Gaelic alphabet only has 18 letters.) CAPS are where the emphasis is.

Caoir - Coo-ear 1 syllable
Eilidh - A-lee (A as in Ape) 2 syllables
Isean-Eala - ISH-ehan YAH-lah 4 syllables
Oidhche - OY-ch-i (ch as in Scottish loch, i as in igloo) 2 syllables
Raineach - RAH-een-yahch (ch as in loch) 3 syllables
Rionnag - RyOON-nak 2 syllables

If there are any native Gaelic speakers on here please correct me, I'm fully aware my pronounciation isn't the best :oops:

Eilidh.

....the other's I'd be unable to yell! ;) :lol:

You do realise that I will read Ah-lee as Eilidh...and in my head will call her the written word!:shock:

....the other's I'd be unable to yell! ;) :lol:

You do realise that I will read Ah-lee as Eilidh...and in my head will call her the written word!:shock:

I can yell them all...I've practiced :lol: I don't quite get what you mean though? Sorry, stoopid morning. :roll:

Meant to add, if you pick the last option you have to suggest one ;)

Anyone know if you can upload recordings here? Had a thought that I could dig out my microphone after my exam :)

Isean.
little black swan:)
its such a pretty name...and she is a pretty little lady:love:

and ouch!....someone actualy hit 'they all suck' button:shock:

Isean.
little black swan:)
its such a pretty name...and she is a pretty little lady:love:

Ooh, do you speak Gaelic? Can you correct me? :D Isean was the first name we came up with, as she looks so graceful.

and ouch!....someone actualy hit 'they all suck' button:shock:

Funnily enough, neither of them suggested an alternative ;)

I think they're really complicated and don't do her justice (it's probably just my pronounciation :lol:)
I think having a Gaelic name is lovely though!

I think they're really complicated and don't do her justice (it's probably just my pronounciation :lol:)
I think having a Gaelic name is lovely though!

I love Gaelic and it means a lot to me, hence why I want to name her in it. I can imagine they sound a bit wierd if you don't understand the language or the pronounciation :lol: I'm very open to English suggestions too :D

I love Gaelic and it means a lot to me, hence why I want to name her in it. I can imagine they sound a bit wierd if you don't understand the language or the pronounciation :lol: I'm very open to English suggestions too :D

Yes, and I think a Gaelic name would suit her, you just have to find the right one, but my own prenounciation maybe completely different to the actual one!

Yes, and I think a Gaelic name would suit her, you just have to find the right one, but my own prenounciation maybe completely different to the actual one!

What one were you thinking of and how would you pronounce it, out of interest? I like Eala, but pronounced as Ay-lah instead of Yah-lah :lol:

What one were you thinking of and how would you pronounce it, out of interest? I like Eala, but pronounced as Ay-lah instead of Yah-lah :lol:

I didn't like that one as I thought it was pronouched A-lee which sounded like a chavvy person saying Hayley... I really like Ay-lah!!!!

Well, when I say 'yah-lah' it's not right, I'm just not capable of putting pronouncation down. :lol: I can do it in phonetics but my phonetics program won't let me write in RU :roll: (Linguistucs student :lol:)

wouldn't say they suck but not keen on any of them

She reminds me of a standard black rex we had in years ago I named her Melody :love:..much easier to pronounce:lol:

Ooh, do you speak Gaelic? Can you correct me? :D Isean was the first name we came up with, as she looks so graceful.

Funnily enough, neither of them suggested an alternative ;)
unfortunately i dont speak Gaelic but it was her grace and elegance that first struck me when i looked at her picture :)
(yes. i am a fellow rex lover:oops::lol: she looks just like my Inara:D )

i think i just like names that are a little unusual.

Back