• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Its heartbreaking when you can't work out a way to help :(

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
The last 6 buns I've taken on have been complex bunnies from the RSPCA I volunteer with (either very ill or behaviouraly 'wonky').

Right now they have a beautiful girl there called Bella and she is losing weight. It's literally dropping off of her.

Everything in my wants to bring her here and if she dies, at least I will know she has been comfortable and loved, but obviously, hopefully I can get the diagnostics run and we can find out what exactly is going on for her.

I just can't figure out a way to do it though because she is a long, long bunny, who, at a healthy weight would be massive. She weighs 2.6kg as of this morning but her waist size is the same as one of my healthy nethies (giving you a REAL clue as to how skinny she is).

It breaks my heart to not have any way to help her. I so wish I could. I feel really **** about it :(

If you can then get her home.. IMO it is better for her to be with someone who cares for her even if it is for a few days... Keep in mind that if she passes away (God forbid) then this may be very hard on you, so make sure that you do not get very emotionally attached..

I really hope that she pulls through and she lives a long healthy life.. Good luck and let us know what happens.. Sending good vibes and prayers your way...

If you can then get her home.. IMO it is better for her to be with someone who cares for her even if it is for a few days... Keep in mind that if she passes away (God forbid) then this may be very hard on you, so make sure that you do not get very emotionally attached..

I really hope that she pulls through and she lives a long healthy life.. Good luck and let us know what happens.. Sending good vibes and prayers your way...

I agree, if you are able to do it (financially and emotionally), it will be better for her to be in a quiet environment getting one to one care.

If you can't, please don't beat yourself up about it. You can only do your best.

Lots of vibes for whatever you decide,

FC x

Yeh, but that's what I mean, I can't work out a way to bring her here. I don't have any sort of accommodation to accommodate a bunny that size, even temporarily (my bunnies are mostly nethies and certainly no one anywhere near her size).

I could cope with death. Obviously, that's not the desried outcome, but I cope ok with death because I know whatever I have done would be best for her. Financially, I could just about hang in there because right now the only complex bunny I have is Badger

I know I need to, and I know I'm failing her if I don't, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to!

How is your relationship with the RSPCA, would they allow you to take her to your vets and get some tests run while still staying there?

Or could you make a temporary enclosure for her inside somewhere?

You can only work with the space and accommodation you physically have, as has been said many times no one can help them all :(

I do an awful lot for them, and they asked me specifically for advice on her. I intend to offer that, but I have a feeling that a, my vets may not be agreeable and b, the other vets may feel very put out and the RSPCA really need them because they are stonkingly cheap (but unfortunately, you get what you pay for and they know minimal about bunnies and managed to miss the spinal injury on my Rosie :roll: and a whole long list of other bunny errors). I do intend to offer this though.

Space wise, inside, I don't have anywhere to put her either. She is a HUGE jumper so no barrier would keep her in and she is so long she would pull any sort of cover on a temporary pen down (this is a bunny with serious bunnitude and an awesome personality). Even in her frail state she can still quite comfortable jump about 5 ft. She needs a room to herself but I can't offer that.

Here she is.

You can see where she is standing up, that she is so super thin.

120.jpg

108-1.jpg

I offered to pay for treatment and that was slammed down instantly.

However, between giving her a bowl of water on Sunday afternoon and her vets appointment on Monday evening she had gained 0.6kg!!!!!! Which, to me, looks like maybe she was mega dehydrated. What an awful way to go and how horrific to need to be able to drink and not be able to for whatever reason (we're not sure why, only got a few ideas).

The vet couldn't find anything wrong (but this is a poor vet so that doesn't mean there isn't anything wrong) so gave antibiotics as a precaution.

I offered to pay for treatment and that was slammed down instantly.

However, between giving her a bowl of water on Sunday afternoon and her vets appointment on Monday evening she had gained 0.6kg!!!!!! Which, to me, looks like maybe she was mega dehydrated. What an awful way to go and how horrific to need to be able to drink and not be able to for whatever reason (we're not sure why, only got a few ideas).

The vet couldn't find anything wrong (but this is a poor vet so that doesn't mean there isn't anything wrong) so gave antibiotics as a precaution.

Poor girl. Hopefully, she will be on the mend soon.

FC x

The last 6 buns I've taken on have been complex bunnies from the RSPCA I volunteer with (either very ill or behaviouraly 'wonky').

Right now they have a beautiful girl there called Bella and she is losing weight. It's literally dropping off of her.

Everything in my wants to bring her here and if she dies, at least I will know she has been comfortable and loved, but obviously, hopefully I can get the diagnostics run and we can find out what exactly is going on for her.

I just can't figure out a way to do it though because she is a long, long bunny, who, at a healthy weight would be massive. She weighs 2.6kg as of this morning but her waist size is the same as one of my healthy nethies (giving you a REAL clue as to how skinny she is).

It breaks my heart to not have any way to help her. I so wish I could. I feel really **** about it :(

Oh no! I feel awful reading that! :cry::cry:

Poor girl! I wish I could help myself but money is tight at the moment and dont think I could bond her with Pip if not healthy not fair to either of them! If I had a spare hutch I would take her on or would like to think I could anyway!!

I hope you can find out what is going on with her and hopefully somthing that can be treated!
:(

Thanks FriskyClover, me too.

Becca, she is definitely not one to take on with a view to bond, but even then she is massive so needs so much space, and potentially could be very complex and complicated and have a feeling somewhere recently (although recently may have been a few months ago :lol:) you didn't feel confident taking on a bunny with needs yet, which is fair enough.

I'm hoping I can guide them through this from a distance. Would be far better if they had a decent vet, but I'll do what I can, when I can.

Thanks FriskyClover, me too.

Becca, she is definitely not one to take on with a view to bond, but even then she is massive so needs so much space, and potentially could be very complex and complicated and have a feeling somewhere recently (although recently may have been a few months ago :lol:) you didn't feel confident taking on a bunny with needs yet, which is fair enough.

I'm hoping I can guide them through this from a distance. Would be far better if they had a decent vet, but I'll do what I can, when I can.

yeah I did say that, as much as I would love to I feel I have more to learn with regards to medical issues and treatment etc!

Im sure with your help and perseverence (sp) she will get sorted!! :)

Sorry if that sounded bitchy or anything Becca, I just would never want anyone to take on any bunny that they knew deep down they shouldn't take (for whatever reason, emotional, financial, space, etc). I've been in that situation and its not a nice place to be.

No no at all, I know exactly what you meant! Its that tie between wanting to help the bunny but knowing that deep down its not the right thing to do at that moment in time, if that makes sense!

Back