• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would he bond?

rosiebunny

Mama Doe
So I've been posting about my Bunny Keith. Aka Keither, aka the K factor, aka Special K, aka IF YOU WALK UNDER MY FEET I WILL STEP ON YOU. Or, as my boyfriend says :censored:

Anyway, he's an only bun, about 9-10 months now I think, still has his jelly beans. He's a house bun and has a cage which he hangs out in but mostly has the run of the house. He's nicely litter trained, very sociable with my and my boyfriend, very affectionate. Has a cuddly toy rabbit that he "mates" regularly.

A month or so ago I got two gerbils, Dalek Sec and Dalek Caan, and Keith was NOT happy. He stomped his feet whenever I did anything with them, and would come up and try to move my attention away from them. I was considering getting him another bunny but after reacting so badly to gerbils on his turf I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea.

There is also no room in the house that isn't his space, he has been everywhere and claimed ownership of everything. He knows what he likes and will demand it.

I don't really want to risk getting another rabbit incase they don't bond. What would happen to the second bunny then?

Bonding needs to take place in an area he hasnt claimed as his own.. it will make it much easier and in a small space such as a dog crate.

If you rescue a bunny, most rescues on here do the bonding for you.
It means its in an area your bunny doesn't know and if the bond doesnt work they can try another bunny and they will keep trying but if he doesnt want to bond then you just simply take him home again :)

all good questions that i'll leave to more experienced bunnymummies to answer.

sounds like keith is the boss of you. that 'willing slave' thing - you seem to love it!:lol:

I think it'd be a good idea iof you talk to your nearby rescues. Many rescues will let you take you bun there to 'date' other buns - that way he can choose who HE wants, and it can be done on neutral territory.

I don't think it's essential that he has a friend, being a much-loved housebun, but it would be nice. He will of course need to to be neutered first though.

I'm a bit nervous about the neutering thing because he has dental problems, and I don't want to put him through anything he doesn't *need* to be put through. But he does seem to be very resilient.

Back