• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello newbie and Noobie

Muddiwarx

New Kit
Hi have just joined the forum, am not new to rabbits but haven't had one for about 5 years after losing my beloved boy under a GA.

We have lots of other animals - 4 dogs - 2 Labs (Vanessa and Dex), a Collie (Rock) and an Alaskan Malamute (Noobie) which we work and show, 2 hedgehogs - Boogie and Quilla, a Bearded Dragon, about 50 fancy rats who I show and train in agility, a siamese mouse, a gerbil and a geriatric degu.

We do bits and bobs of dog rescue and rat rescue.

I am contemplating adding a French lop to the family (and a companion for it which may or may not also be a French lop) so am researching the breed carefully at the moment and have contacted a couple of breeders.

Hoping this forum will prove to be a useful resource :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!!

Have you thought about looking around your local rescue centers? for a loving bun or two? :)

Welcome to the forum!!

Have you thought about looking around your local rescue centers? for a loving bun or two? :)

I have but initially I would like to have a purebred as I fancy having a go at showing but I may well get a rescue as companion (or 2)

Most of my previous buns were rescues.

Hello :wave:

Purebreds often suffer from genetic health problems. If you adopt a bonded pair from a rescue, then they will already be neutered and vaccinated.

Purebreds often suffer from genetic health problems. If you adopt a bonded pair from a rescue, then they will already be neutered and vaccinated.

Equally rescues can suffer from genetic health problems - I have 17 rescue pets here and they cost me a fortune in vets bills (well 5 of them do - the rest don't at the moment.
My last rescue rabbit had dental issues and required regular GA to treat his teeth and we lost him under anaesthetic.

I am not anti rescue - I spend a large amount of my spare time homechecking, transporting, matching up owners and rescue pets (dogs and rats) and have many rescue pets here - however at this point I have made the educated decision to take on a breeder animal - partly due to heartache of early death of a rescue pet who was presumably bred with little care and thought and also because as previously mentioned I am interested in showing.

Is this an anti breeder forum?

Personally I think you sound like you have thought long and hard aboutit would just like to welcome you to the forum.. :wave:

It's attached to rabbit rehome, a national rabbit rescue database, and a lot of members run rescues, and see the bad side of breeders

Fair enough :) I am well aware of that type of breeder too - they exist in all animals however that is not the type of breeder I would choose to associate with!!!!

showing

I have 2 rescue buns and a thrianta from a breeder because I wanted to show. I didn't realise though that you cant show neutered animals, so I've decided that him being neutered so he can be bonded and happy is more important. I'm going to stick to pet classes and possibly some rabbit jumping if he agrees ;)

Back