• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Too independent?

TroubleTwo

New Kit
Hi, We've had our boy, Reg, for about a year now, and he gets on so well with us. He was independent from the word go, doesn't mind a good old scratch and tickle from us, but mostly is content to hop around the house/garden (weather dependent) doing his thing, dashing about, binkying to great heights!
Problem with that is that he really really won't be held. As soon as he gets a suspicion someone is about to pick him up he runs away, and if we do get him up he struggles and fights and 9 times out of 10 we have to give up first and put him down if we want any flesh left on our arms. Then he's happy again, eating treats and snuffling at our ankles like nothing had happened.
So how do I trim his claws/clean him (he likes to sleep in the litter tray and this leads to a mucky behind sometimes)?? I can't hold him long enough to see his feet (and he really doesn't like anyone touching those) never mind trim his claws, and I'm worried that they'll get too long since we can't check.
He runs on the concrete/carpet, and i guess they do get worn down, but maybe not enough, because when he's in the backyard, sometimes you can hear them click click.
Otherwise he is happy and healthy but I'm worried we're becoming bad bunny parents if we can't get this endless struggle sorted.
anyone got any tips to make this easier?

have you got a fairly high table or surface you can put him on? I find all three of our rabbits struggle (particularly the new one) but if you put them on something fairly small and high up they'll let you do practically whatever you want.

Another thing I've found with my new one, he's so large that if you hold him close to you like you should he kicks and kicks until he's away. It's not the nicest thing but I now hold him the other way so he's just kicking the air. It makes it MUCH easier to pick him up and carry him from one place to the other.

I'm going to try giving him treats after every time I've picked him up as well so that hopefully he'll start to see it as a good thing.

have you got a fairly high table or surface you can put him on? I find all three of our rabbits struggle (particularly the new one) but if you put them on something fairly small and high up they'll let you do practically whatever you want.

Another thing I've found with my new one, he's so large that if you hold him close to you like you should he kicks and kicks until he's away. It's not the nicest thing but I now hold him the other way so he's just kicking the air. It makes it MUCH easier to pick him up and carry him from one place to the other.

I'm going to try giving him treats after every time I've picked him up as well so that hopefully he'll start to see it as a good thing.

What is the other way mate?! Bart is incredibly wrigglish and will not be picked up!!

It's rare to have a rabbit that does like being held! For things like nail trim I find it best not to actually hold bunny but to put bunny on sofa or bed or table and get someone to put slight pressure over their neck and head and then I trim while they are there.

wow, he sounds just like ma lad:lol:
If i need to pick him up I wear a big thick jumper so as to cushion his kicks and i hold him tight.
Then If i need to clip his nails or give him medicine i wrap him up in a towel

What is the other way mate?! Bart is incredibly wrigglish and will not be picked up!!

I put a firm hand behind his front legs and a hand under his bum and hold him to me with his legs pointing outwards. he kicks and wriggles but he's not actually kicking against anything so it's harder to get away than if he's facing towards me and his legs are kicking against me.

Back