• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Necessary to weigh frequently?

pigsforlife

Mama Doe
:wave: I weigh my guinea pigs weekly because often weightloss is the only way to pick up an illness (or an illness in the early stages). I was doing the same thing with Charlee. She is a netherland dwarf, so only a small bunny - but in her weigh in today she is up to 1.25kg at 6 months old. And boy does she kick up a stink. She won't sit nicely on the scales for me, and frankly is getting a bit too big (body wise) given the fact that I use old kitchen scales. Even when I attempted to bribe her with bunny biscuits she didn't approve! Usually she does anything for a bunny biscuit, I can lure her back into her cage at night with one! I ended up popping her in a winter fleecy sak so that I could get a weight. And she still ended up with a bunny biscuit! :lol:

So my question is, in a very long winded way, is it imperative to weigh her frequently - or would say, once a month be ok?

Mine hate being weighed: usually it means they are about to be put on a strict diet!
I would think once a month would be fine so long as you keep an eye on their body shape and condition, if possibile try to gently feel their ribs and spine regularly too :)

I don't tend to weigh mine often, mostly because they figit too much :roll::lol:

Whats a easy way to tell if a bunny is overweight??

Take 'em along to see a vet nurse (many do weightwatchers clinics for pets). They should be able to weigh them accurately on special animal scales, give you an idea of their ideal weight and offer some diet tips :)

Take 'em along to see a vet nurse (many do weightwatchers clinics for pets). They should be able to weigh them accurately on special animal scales, give you an idea of their ideal weight and offer some diet tips :)

My vet always weighs my pets on every visit. With Robert, this means he's weighed pretty much weekly! :lol:

Thanks! I suppose that so long as she is eating, in theory she should be ok (or not losing weight).

Not really sure how to tell if she is the ideal weight for her body, that is something that I am going to bring up with the vet when she goes in to be wormed in June.

Back