• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Full time workers with house bunnies....

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
how will you be keeping your buns cool while your out at work all day this summer?

it got up to 26 degrees yesterday and i was home with all the windows open, i obviously cant do that to tomorrow with my friendly neighbourhood burgulars so how can i keep the house cool :(

ive been reading fans are useless because rabbits dont sweat like we do. plus it would just be blowing hot air about with the windows shut

Couldn't you just do the same types of things that people with outdoor buns do? Like giving them frozen ice bottles, tiles to lay on, frozen veg ice lollies... If you've got small windows could you keep those open to get a bit of air circulating - not that there's much air out there! I've just walked to work and it's boiling already! Now I'm at work with no air con. Woo Hoo.

I think keeping curtains shut so that the sun doesn't actually shine in keeps it a bit cooler inside too.

I'm worrying about leaving Louie tomorrow as the temperature is set to hit 27 degrees again and hubby is also out all day :(

Louie usually has the conservatory and kitchen but I'm going to get some wire protector stuff today to cover the phone Internet wire in the hall so he can have access there also as it's much cooler.

only people size windows in this house :(

i keep the curtains shut when i know its going to be hot and i only open windows when im awake and in the house now. just about to freeze some water ready for the morning :D

its usually ok cus Ste was here so windows could be open. all alone this summer though :(

my living room is south facing with a big picture window, and that's the room where the bunnies are! fortunately, they are in the dining area which is darker and shaded. it might get warm but is unlikely to get very hot. they are lying on their slates, or in trays. i think the frozen water bottles might work so i'll try that if i have to go out.

I'm worrying about leaving Louie tomorrow as the temperature is set to hit 27 degrees again and hubby is also out all day :(

Louie usually has the conservatory and kitchen but I'm going to get some wire protector stuff today to cover the phone Internet wire in the hall so he can have access there also as it's much cooler.

its horrible aint it :( atleast if they was outside there would be air for them :(

I'm quite lucky as my house is sandstone, so keeps quite cool even in the warm weather.

I have been giving them an ice pod that they can lie near if they want.

Will also leave them an additional bowl of water tomorrow as they have been drinking a bot more water.

ive been reading fans are useless because rabbits dont sweat like we do. plus it would just be blowing hot air about with the windows shut

I think I read that if you hang a wet towel in front of the fan then it will circulate the cooler air because of the water evaporating from the towel.

i leave a bowl of ice with a icclish drop of OJ to flavour the ice or veggie ice pops (he has a normal water bottle to) and a bottle of frozen water wrapped in wet towel, window open and all doors open to make a though draught with baby gate up

That's not true Donna - it does help so don't worry. :D
I managed to find this old thread:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=186830&highlight=fans I've explained how half way down the first page.

It's always cooler in the morning so if we have to go out what we do is open EVERYTHING up very early to get the house really cool and then close everything up and shut all curtains etc when you leave (and before sun moves around). Our house is South facing and the room the buns tend to hang out in has big french windows so having curtains closed is really helpful.
At the moment we leave top windows open (heat rises don't forget) so see if the buns can hang out in the coolest/lowest part of the house in the summer?
When it gets REALLY hot as in English Indian summer - I close everything up - because then the temp inside actually stays cooler than outside.
Ice pods/frozen water bottles, some cool flooring (Poppy lies beside the hearth stone as this is nice and cool) and a pedestool fan up out of bun's reach would be fine.
We also found an air con unit last year for £100 which works brilliantly - you can cool the room down and then turn it off when you leave. We managed to put the pipe out through a catflap. Try not to worry too much - if it is hot the buns will adjust the amount of exercise they do naturally. :)

:lol:I'm sorry I shouldn't laugh. 27 degrees here is a nice day...40 degrees is another matter! We are currently heading into winter, so I have been getting out all of the fleecy stuff.

In Summer, on hot days all the small critters get a big frozen water bottle per cage (or 2 small ones). Last Summer, Charlee was only a bub and hadn't really mastered the art of flopping on the frozen water bottle..she much prefered to lick it and try to dig it up!! I get sun on my window in the early morning, so keep all blinds shut. This helps keep the room a bit cooler. We have a fan going pretty much 24/7 when I am out, and then the additional airconditioner when we are home. On a nice evening, all the windows/doors get opened up to let the seabreeze through. We are lucky though that this house stays pretty cool in summer, mostly because it is tiled throughout.

its horrible aint it :( atleast if they was outside there would be air for them :(

I know :( I thought of getting him a run for outside but he's never contained so would probably go mad. Also, he prefers indoors even when we are here and the door is open. Oh and I'd worry about foxes getting him!

We got some wire cover, the square type that unclips, was only £3 so hubby is fitting it now :D

My girls are house buns. We have blinds on our windows which don't seem to stop the sun coming in (we're renting, they're not my choice!), so we bought some cheap fleeces from Tesco and pegged them to the top of the blind pole - they stop any sun from getting in at all. Last year we only had the one bun, and we gave her a frozen water bottle to lie next to. Make sure you give them fresh, cold water just before you leave for work - that should make a bit of a difference. I also leave our living room door open to keep the air circulating throughout the house. She didn't seem to have any problems last year, and the two hottest days last year were the two days we moved in!

Back