• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heavy breathing causes? Update seen vets does this sound ok?

Carrie14

Mama Doe
I have just acquired this bun http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=229694 and I am wondering what could cause the heavy breathing. I really don't want to move them again today as after being in the same hutch for two years, today has probably come as a bit of a shock to them.

There is no discharge from anywhere. No sneezing or wheezing that I can hear from a distance. She is just under weight and is holding her ears in a stressed position. Although this could be because of circumstances, she may just suffer from stress more than the black one:?

Last edited:
Stress can cause increased respiratory rate and effort.
Also, its very hot today so that will add to the stress.

I'd put her somewhere cool and quiet. If she's unused to space/exercise this will need to be introduced gradually over a period of weeks.

If after resting she still has an increased respiratory effort she needs to be examined by a Vet xx

Stress can cause increased respiratory rate and effort.
Also, its very hot today so that will add to the stress.

I'd put her somewhere cool and quiet. If she's unused to space/exercise this will need to be introduced gradually over a period of weeks.

If after resting she still has an increased respiratory effort she needs to be examined by a Vet xx

Thank you:) That's just it, the black one is breathing normally now and the gray one is still breathing rapidly.

I am hoping to get them into the vets tomorrow.

Could E.C. cause it as there is no discharge anywhere?

lots of good vibes are on their way to your little buns right now!

If the poorly one is underweight as it is i'm sure you know that any loss of appetite right now is not a good thing. I'd reccoment some very strong smelling and tasty herbs to tempt it to eat something.

I'm not a vet and I dont want to worry you with 'it couyld be this' and 'it could be that'. But just so you knoe, at the bunny rescue i work at we recently had a litter brought to us with E.C. we have one splay legged bun and one head tilt bun but none breathing like that. fingers crossed ;)

As others said it could be heta and stress. Has it improved as it has got a bit cooler? I would def take them to the vets for a check up anyway once they have settled

Thank you for the replies:wave: My rabbit savvy vet has a two hour surgery tomorrow and I am really hoping to get them in then.

The grey one is eating well and drinking well too. My *guess* is snuffles. Is its proper name pastualer? I know the spelling etc is completely wrong. I am just off to do a search now. Any extra info, spelling, links would be great!

I took them both to the vets yesterday and the grey one has a possible lung infection.

She is on 0.8 mls of Baytril twice a day for ten days.

If this doesn't help he mentioned an x-ray.

She is underweight and the vet put this down to the infection.

Does this sound OK?

Back