• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny frightened outdoors?

beki

Mama Doe
I put ruby and reggie out in their hutch yesterday evening, they have both been inside since December but it was getting much too hot for them indoors up in the bedroom.

Ruby was really really happy running up and down the ramp and into the run and binkying lots. I put reggie in the top part. He went into the bedding area and claimed that by weeing and pooping but he is just sitting near the door mesh with his eyes wide and showing me the whites of his eyes! ruby is totally ignoring him which isn't helping.

I got him from a rescue and his behavior and reaction to certain situations makes me think he has just been left in a little hutch without exercise. Maybe it is bringing back bad memories? When i go and stroke him in the hutch he flattens himself down and pushes himself into a corner (although he does flatten himself when stroked if you try and stroke him when he isn't in the mood) He won't dare go down the ramp and the space down there is much bigger than the top so i would prefer him to. What do i do? i think i have upset him a lot :(

I haven't tried picking him out as he doesn't like being picked up so don't want to upset him further. I will attach the run back to the front of the hutch and see if he will make his way out today.

he seems a little better now thanks :) it took him a day or two, and me feeling so so guilty but he is now running up and down the ramp like mad and he even went out in the run the other night for a look before going back and hiding in the litter tray! lol! ruby has him well trained, he doesn't poo in the bed (she never did when she was on her own before they were bonded) and only goes in the large tray in the bottom. He is still really jumpy though and a bit scared of me, he has been like that since i got him. He cowers in corners. Now he is getting more used to the hutch i will have to try and handle him more again. I have left him alone with no handling since i put him in last friday, just the odd stroke daily as i didn't want him to be too scared. I have had him since october and he is hard work! very cute but not at all cuddly as he is scared of everything. Ruby however is very very cuddly and begs to be picked up!

Back