• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you use a hay bag?

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.

I usually put my buns hay in a big washing up bowl and they sit in it and munch their hay whilst having a pee and poo.

However, I seemed to be wasted tons of hay so bought a horse hay bag and have filled it with hay and its at nose height so they can grab a mouthful when they want.

I still put a small amount in their litter tray so they can still munch and toilet - but they dont seem really interested in the hay bag.

Its a horse hay bag so holds loads (it was only 99p on Ebay) but they seemed to prefer to eat the soiled stuff instead of the clean fresh stuff.

Anyone else use one of these? Should I perservere?

My lot have a bit in their litter tray and then they have a half moon hanging basket each attached to the wall which I fill with hay. The group of four empty theirs twice a day A and E took a bit of encouraging to eat out of it but do now

Its worked out great money wise - I used to buy a farm bale every two weeks now its lasting me three :D

My lot have a bit in their litter tray and then they have a half moon hanging basket each attached to the wall which I fill with hay. The group of four empty theirs twice a day A and E took a bit of encouraging to eat out of it but do now

Its worked out great money wise - I used to buy a farm bale every two weeks now its lasting me three :D

Ooooh I may have to get them!!! Are they the wire ones? Heads off to Poundland!

Im not being tight - just hate waste - and I know hay is the best thing for them and I like them to have fresh stuff and not the pee stained poo encrusted stuff they like to nom nom nom!

I also half a half moon flower basket, but they hay gets pulled out onto the floor where they proceed to eat and poo!! :roll::lol::lol:

Ooooh I may have to get them!!! Are they the wire ones? Heads off to Poundland!

Im not being tight - just hate waste - and I know hay is the best thing for them and I like them to have fresh stuff and not the pee stained poo encrusted stuff they like to nom nom nom!

Yes they are about two inch square - it saves money and mess :D

I thought you meant to store it. :oops: We use an old pillow case to store it and then I just pull it out of there and put it in their litter trays. They do like eating from the bag but they'd probably end up weeing on it if I just let them have the bag all the time.

I've fill my litter corner with shavings and I think they've learned that you don't pee and poop on hay, you pee and poop on shavings so I don't have any problems there. They have a hay manger on the side of their run which they eat from.

Back