• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One of my rabbits just died - long

obicat

Young Bun
This is going to sound really clinical, but if I elaborate too much I'm going to go to pieces. I had 2 buns, Philly and Tiger. Philly was Tigers mum. I have known Tiger since about an hour after she was born. I loved her. I found her dead when I got in from work this afternoon. I dont know why and cant think about my poor little Tiger bun suffering or I will go mad. I'm praying it was a heart attack and she knew nothing. My sister who buried her said she looked like shes just gone to sleep.

I am now desparately worried about Philly. She seems pretty chilled out and as rabbits go she is about as placid as can be. She lived with me on her own for 6 months and didnt seem to care, although she was a house bunny. She now lives outside and has lived with Tiger for the last 9 months. Shes not neutered. I know she should be, but I lost my job and could barely afford to feed them. Ironically she was booked in for a neuter before she gave birth.

I know she needs company ASAP but I dont think I can have her neutered now can I? I can afford it now I'm working but Phils lives outside now and the flies would be a massive problem. I CANNOT under any circs have her inside. I'm living in shared accomodation and its written into my contract that the buns cannot come in.

I'm going to hand my notice in on my current accomodation next week and hopefully find somewhere that Philly can be a house bun again. This is fine if its just Phil. Shes not destructive, I cannot risk another bunny costing me thousands in deposits. I've already lost alot of money due to bunny damage.

I'm at my wits end. I'm falling apart over loosing my precious Tiger pops but even worse I'm terrified something will happen to Philly. I really need some clinical impartial advice. What would you do?

just to add I did NOT breed Philly delibarately. There was a period of about 3 weeks where I was moving from Milton Keynes to North Yorkshire and Philly satyed at my sisters. With her apparently neutered bunny. He obv wasnt :censored: and Philly duely produced Tiger and Flossy who now lives with another RU member

i'm really really sorry you have lost Tiger :cry: what a sad day it's been on here, well a sad week really.

I don't think Philly needs to be neutered straight away, i'd give yourself some time to get over this and find somewhere she can be a housebun again then look into getting it done then.

Let yourself get over Tiger a bit before thinking about what to do with Philly.

Binky free Tiger xxxx

Were they both vaccinated? I can only imagine how painful it must be for you :( but keep a close eye on Philly in case it was something contagious

Binky free Tiger xxx

Awwww, no! I'm so sorry you lost our bun. :( Were they both vaccinated? I do think you need to get your girlie spayed (to prevent cancer apart from anything) then,when you're ready, look into getting her a friend. A rescue bun would be best - many rescues take care of bonding for you too. Why not just stay in your current accommodation and keep them outdoors?

Hugs for your loss - I'm sure she had a happy life with you, so please don't be too upset.

i'm sorry you lost Tiger :(

I would just keep an eye on Philly for signs of her not eating or pooping, sounds like you are a devoted Mummy which tells me you would notice any change in her behaviour.

Personally I would hold off any spaying and bonding plans until you have both had time to get over this.

I'd give the same advice as others have already, don't rush into getting another bunny just now. You could ask your vet for advice on Philly or have her checked over maybe?

Poor wee Tiger, hopefully it was something that happened quickly.:cry:

Philly seems fine, she got really excited early and did the biggest binkies I've ever seen! Shes vaccinated for VHD and Myxi although they were done a year ago next month so shes due boosters soon.

There was no signs of stasis/VHD/Myxi from Tiger either before or after. My sister just raised something with me. Philly has done the outside bunny thing before last year. Tiger has never been outside at all until the beginning of April. I tried really REALLY hard to acclimatise them including living in a house that was Baltic for a week or so because I had all the windows open 24/7 in prepartion for them going outside :lol:

BUT I did no prepartion for the heat today. I fed and checked the water etc at 8am and went to work. However it must have been 20 degrees, maybe more today. I have an ice pod but I never left it out as bloody BBC weather said it would be cloudy with showers :censored: That wouldnt have been enough would it??

Sorry for your loss.

I wouldn't have thought that 20 degrees was enough to kill a rabbit from heatstroke, personally. If it was then there would be an epidemic every summer.

I'm afraid I can't offer you any further advice but don't be too hard on yourself.

It sounds like you did everything right for looking after your bunnies. I'm so sorry for your loss, but unfortunately bunnies are quite fragile creatures and do sometimes die suddenly.

I'm glad your other bunny is in good spirits.

x

im so sorry for your loss..i saw your post on teddys mummys thread:(

as i said there.....ive lost buns suddenly that were fine and well and i had so much pain from not noticing.....but you cant be superhuman....and buns are renowned for hiding illness so are cats to an extent.

you will find philly s a bun who grieves in her own way.
i would wait and have phily spayed before looking for another bun..but dont rush it.
ask the vets if you can set up a direct debot to pay for her spay. ive had to askf or payment instalments on the almost £500 salems tests have cost me.
no we have no money either but sometimes the vets may make an exception...if not approach a different one.

binky free tiger xxx

hugs for you xx

Its not the money, I have that now I'm working again. its the fact I cant bring her inside and its soo hot I'd be worried about flies etc :? I think i'm just going to try and move ASAP somewhere on my own where she can be a housebunny while shes neutered and recovers then I can look at company for her. She seems happy enough for the tme being. She was binkying liek mad yesterday :love:

its a shame you cant bring her in inside a playpen 24/7 until she can go outside when the suns going down or just coming up..its what weve been doing with our three unbonded buns.

yes id do that too...its so hard to feel ok about turning a housebun to an outdoor bun when you have no choice:(

Back