• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits with no eyesight

Rachel89

Mama Doe
Honey has poor eyesight in her remaining eye and we knew it was going to deteriate more as it has been for the last few months.
I'm thinking its got alot worse now though, shes been crashing into things and getting more nervous when I or the buns suddenly go upto her. I try and keep everything in the same place but the other three love to have brat attacks and chuck everything everywere.

Does anyone have any experience with rabbits with near enough no eyesight? Any tips on how I can make it even more easier for her.

Got a vet appointment in the morning for them to check :( Poor Honey bunny.

I have a rabbit who is almost blind, he sometimes gets a bit scared when something approaches him, so I make sure I talk to him a lot and approach on the side of his better eye.

He lives on his own at the minute, so I dont have the problem of other rabbits upsetting him

Talking a lot more usually helps. My parents bun Pipkin is blind and manages fine. He tends to bun into things when he dashes around. He lives alone so he doesn't have the problem of other bunnies moving things around but the he doesn't have the security and help of being with a sighted bunny like you bun does. I think she will adjust in time.

Thanks, yeah I talk alot when I'm near her or around her, she doesn't have the best of hearing either but thats not changed luckily.
Will try and keep everthing the same and carry on, if not I will have to start to superglue stuff to the ground.

they rely much more on smell sound and vibrations as its gradual and she got a partner you will find it not a prob really, just be wary of when you move objects changes to routine can throw them a lil bit

mowgli went completely blind with cateracts in his last year with us, it didn't bother him, he still found his way about even in my nan's garden, he knew where he was going

just try and keep things how she is used to it, and not move objects etc and keep a routine

Louie startles very easily sometimes even if you approach him whilst talking to him.

He seems to know the house and garden layout pretty well now but does occasionally end up stuck up the fence as he has got his barings wrong!

Back