• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Keith and his teeth update: Snotty nose :(

rosiebunny

Mama Doe
Well, I've had a LOVELY day! (need a sarcasm font...)

Got up this morning, K was eating his grub, BF was on the computer, I got in the shower. I came out to find K sitting on my bed with a bloody face. Somehow he had managed to bash his face or something, one of his teeth was stuck out at a funny angle, it didn't look pretty. He has malocclusion already.
So I rushed him over to the vet (his eyes were streaming and his nose all snuffly) and they took him in. He broke the tooth socket so he's had a little op to get that out, and clean it all up. But they said his back teeth aren't good either. (he has been eating well tho, very well).
They didn't seem to know much about removing the incisors either. I think this may be better for Keith than getting them burred all the time (and he can't use them much anyway) but if his back teeth will need doing... argh.

Anyway he has baytril and metacam and some supreme science recovery incase he struggles to eat.

He's sitting behind the cross trainer at the moment (it's one of his safe spots, it never gets used) and feels rather shaky and sorry for himself.

Anyway just wanted to post to see if anyone else had been in similar situations and what they recommend?

Thanks
Rosie

Last edited:
Hiya!!!:wave:
Did the vets take X rays to see how the land lies so to speak????
Where are you in the UK???
Plenty of buns do well without incisors......but its not possible to take out cheek teeth....just a dental under a GA will solve that problem and possibly for only 3 or 4 months.

Hiya!!!:wave:
Did the vets take X rays to see how the land lies so to speak????
Where are you in the UK???
Plenty of buns do well without incisors......but its not possible to take out cheek teeth....just a dental under a GA will solve that problem and possibly for only 3 or 4 months.

Hi Yvette!

They didn't do xrays- they said they might but decided it wasn't necessary. He broke the tooth off at the tooth socket, so they removed all the loose bits of tooth and bone and them stitched him up.

He's doing pretty well so far tonight, he's been eating his normal dry food which I soaked in water. He has burgess excel nuggets, the vet was impressed when I said that- apparently it's the best bunny food (in their opinion).
He drank from his water bottle- he had saline injected under his skin incase he wouldn't drink but he went for his bottle about an hour after getting home.
And he's done a few poos, so it looks like things are working there.
He's been cleaning himself and has perked right up - just had a little run around the room, like he normally would.

Thing that is worrying me right now is he is quite snuffly, i think he got blood up his nose and he keeps on trying to sniff it out. Especially when he goes to have something to eat. Vet didn't seem too worried about it so hopefully it'll be gone soon enough. I think he's trying to blow his nose on his paws, bless him.

He's doing really well! He's been hopping about like a happy little thing, having his funny five minutes as normal.
Eating, pooing and drinking all seem to be good. He took his antibiotics and painkillers, reluctantly, but soon forgave me when I rustled a treat packet.
I had been a bit worried yesterday that he wasn't responding to my voice- he normally responds to his name, dinner, cage, kisses and no. But yesterday his ears didn't twitch at all. Today though he is, and we played follow the rustling treat packet for a bit!
He's just chilling now, which he normally does at this time of the day.

All good so far :D just hope that he doesn't get an infection.
:love:

Although he's happy enough, showing no signs of ANYTHING having happened, he does now have a snotty nose... hoping this isn't a sign of infection? He's on Baytril and Metacam.

I looked at your other pictures of Keith and saw he has a rather bad malocclusion forcing his incisors outwards. Keep a good eye on his back teeth though, I had a lop with a similar malocclusion who had no end of problems with his molars and abscesses.

BTW, 10 years ago I also had a bunny named Keith. :D

Yes he does have malocclusion, so going for regular visits to the vet. The vet just said the back teeth are starting to get bad now so he'll need a GA regularly to sort them :(

One of his eyes is still watering constantly. He's back at the vets tmw. Any idea as to why? Apart from that he's bright and happy.

One of his eyes is still watering constantly. He's back at the vets tmw. Any idea as to why? Apart from that he's bright and happy.

The roots of his teeth could be making his eyes runny. The only way to find out is to take an x-ray.

It looks like his teeth are too wonky to ever be anywhere near 'normal'...I think removing his incisors might be the best option.

Back