• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ivomec super dosage

Hi,

I use ivomec super with my guinea pigs which is stated to be safe for use with rodents by the Cambridge Cavy Trust. Unlike the standard ivomec solution it has the extra ingredient clorsulon in. I don't think it has any additional benefits but ivomec super can be purchased in smaller quantities.

Is this ok with rabbits?

And what is the dosage of ivomec (1% solution) for rabbits.

Is it recommended to preventatively treat rabbits every three months with this along with panacur?

Thanks

Layla

No idea on the dosages front. But no, you do not need to treat buns with Ivomec prophylactically, you only need to treat them when they are symptomatic. As it is an insecticide of sorts it is best to keep its use to a minimum.

Ivermectin is a relatively strong drug with some known side-effects a slightly safer alternative is selamectin. Neither need to be used unless fur mites are present on a rabbit as they treat the mites life cycle; egg, pupae and adult.

Don't forget too, our bunnies are not rodents, they are lagomorphs.:)

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I shall leave well alone then. My buns are 5 years old now and never had any problems.

And I learnt something new, I knew they didn't class as a rodent, but now I know they are lagomorphs. Thanks!

I think guineas are much more prone to skin problems and parasites than rabbits.

I tend to treat all my rabbits with ivermectin once or twice a year, just because I have a large number of rabbits (26 to be precise) and rabbit lice tend to spread quite easily and only become noticeable when there is a big infestation.

In my case, prevention is easier than cure, but owners of small numbers of bun don't need to worry.

Back