• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Laying on his back? U/d with pics! :)

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
Why does Lucky do this?

The first time he did it i thought he was dead - gave me hell of a shock and i rushed over shouting only to scare the poor thing who jumped and thumped.

He didnt do it much before but now he does it quite a lot. He quite often does it when i'm laying nearby too. I dont know whether to leave him or poke him. I've never had a bunny that laid like this! It's very unbunny like! :shock:

He also 'pretends' to be asleep - always keeping one eye open.

Honestly i think it's like a game - everytime i try to creep for the camera he jumps up like he was wide awake all along and teasing me!

Last edited:
That sounds like the 'dead bunny flop' or DBF, which is a VERY relaxed rabbit but scares the :censored: out of us.

They can sleep with their eyes open because they close their third eyelid, so he probably is sleeping :)

My little nethie jumps into the DBF so violently it looks like he is having a heart attack and has litrally drpped dead. Its horrible. Scared me to death the first time he did it.

Yeah - it scared us - but he does look so chilled but i'd never known them to do it! He almost smiles too. I havent managed to snap it yet tho!

They have a 3rd eyelid??? Wow!! Never ever heard of this!

He always keeps the eye away from us open so on our side he looks asleep but he looks awake from the other side.

My little nethie jumps into the DBF so violently it looks like he is having a heart attack and has litrally drpped dead. Its horrible. Scared me to death the first time he did it.

Blimey - i've never seen lucky do that - just gradually going from his side sleeping to rolling on his back. That must be terrifying! :shock:

Blimey - i've never seen lucky do that - just gradually going from his side sleeping to rolling on his back. That must be terrifying!

Comet doesn't believe in doing anything gradually. Everything with him is manic and fast paced. I've never known a bun have so much energy.

Comet doesn't believe in doing anything gradually. Everything with him is manic and fast paced. I've never known a bun have so much energy.

Lol Comet sounds like such a character!

Lucky is slow paced and quite lazy - he's like us do everything for him if he could! He's mostly really mellow but will have mad moments too. :lol:

They are such funny and lovable creatures! :love:

Lol Comet sounds like such a character!

He is. The rest of the buns just like pottering about and sun bathing, especially the lops, but he never stops. He's fairly recently been bonded, I'm hoping that as Apollo is fairly lively he will be able to sort of keep up with him.

Its really sad that some people think nethies don't need as much space because they are small, I actually think they need more because they are so active.

So why do they do it? Are they fed up? Or resting? Or trying to tell you to leave them alone? I'm confused.com! Lol!

Its usally because they are very very relaxed and happy :D I tend to check they are actually alive :)roll:) and then leave them to it :lol::lol:

Phew! I hoped it was that- he seems it and doesn't appreciate me prodding him! Lol!

Thanks Sarah. Hubby says he's got the weirdest shaped head he's ever seen on a rabbit but I think it's cute - adds to the grumpy old man image! Lol!

He was out for the count yesterday:

lucky3.jpg

lucky1.jpg

lucky4.jpg

:love:

Back