• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Warm weather advice

Frozen bricks.

Last year I soaked towels with water and drapped them over the runs which they seemed to like.

Also, ensuring the water is in the shade can help too.

I'll try them too. Our two have been a bit lethargic the last couple of days, mostly just stretched out in the hutch. I think it has been too hot to go out in the run until after around 6pm. But then they want to stay out all night.

I have a black insect/mosquito net up on the kennel and I find it somehow keeps the sunlight out a bit more....I use the parasol too...a bit of ice in water bottle to keep it cool

I do it too- wetting the towels and putting them on the ground in the shade. He likes sitting on it- cools his feet and tummy. :)

use tiles in the hutch
fans
water spray
frozen bottles or camping ice packs ( take up less space in the freezer )
wet towels over the hutch or shed windows and door
hoseing down the shedor hutches
hope that helps
ann x

I do fans in there wendyhouses
they have tiles to lay on that they love, nice and cool.
Wet towels over run
Water bottle spray, they love getting a squirt
Also put packs of ice under some towels and they love to lay on them. Blue loves licking ice cubes too.

What can i do for my indoor buns? I'm going to London in the morning until Sunday evening (OH will be at work the weeked but will feed/water them
in the morning as evening)

Shall I keep the curtains closed? I've asked the OH to open the window in their room when he gets in from work but I can't leave it open all day as it's a big window and someone could ge in thru it.

I've only got 1 ice pod but which pair do I give it to?

I'm worried about them :(

What can i do for my indoor buns? I'm going to London in the morning until Sunday evening (OH will be at work the weeked but will feed/water them
in the morning as evening)

Shall I keep the curtains closed? I've asked the OH to open the window in their room when he gets in from work but I can't leave it open all day as it's a big window and someone could ge in thru it.

I've only got 1 ice pod but which pair do I give it to?

I'm worried about them :(

get some ice packs or frozen bottles keep windows open to cerculate air use fans tiles are good too

Some really good ideas, will be using some of these :). Last summer, when I still had my Blackie, I made him ice-lollies using fruit and veg and putting it in water and freezing it. he loved this plus it was a great boredom breaker. Going to make some for Gucci and Chanel this weekend!

Coming from a much hotter climate we are confronted with this problem every summer.

I find with our buns that they don't start showing signs of heat stress until the ambient temperature reaches 27°C. It is possible though that ours have genetically adapted to higher temperatures.

We use plastic milk bottles, either 2 or 3 litres, fill them around 80% with clean water and freeze. We never use the freezer bricks that contain any chemicals in case the buns chew through them. When using fans, overhead fans turning at a low speed are a better option. Higher speed fans pointed directly at the buns create a draught that they cannot escape and can cause respiratory illnesses.

Wetting down towels etc. will make the hutches seem cooler but it also raises the humidity level unless there is good airflow through it. High humidity promotes the growth of moulds.

Ours are all indoor buns which probably makes it easier to control their environment. For the outdoor buns I would expect shade cloth is readily available from garden centres to place over the runs. It has the advantage of being a loose weave allowing air to pass through. Tiles (particularly slate) are good for them to lie on stretched out and conduct some of the heat away.

One of the most important things has already been mentioned, ensure their drinking water is in the coolest position.

Good luck everyone with the heat, although I think what in the UK is considered hot is somewhat different to out take on it.:)

Back