• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Depocillin Dosage? U/D Passed away :(((((

Herbert'sMum

Warren Scout
Alongside Metacam, Herbert is currently on Depocillin injections for treatment of a jaw abscess. He is currently on 0.5ml every 48 hours but I'm wondering if this is enough. What is the most effective dose? He weighs 2.5kg.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sounds about right :) Although you could always give him that dose every 24 hours is required without causing any harm.

Vets tend to give rabbits under 2.5kgs 0.25mls, and rabbits over 2.5kgs 0.5mls...so your boy is on the higher dosage anyway.

Alongside Metacam, Herbert is currently on Depocillin injections for treatment of a jaw abscess. He is currently on 0.5ml every 48 hours but I'm wondering if this is enough. What is the most effective dose? He weighs 2.5kg.

Thanks in advance.

I would check with your Vet :)

My Vet would only administer Depocillin every 24 hours in extreme cases and only for a limited period of time.

Thanks for the advice. Herbert is an old bunny, so I'm a bit worried (we've had him 8 years) but he's a rescue so probably 1 or 2 on top of that....maybe more. How long do the injections take before they start to show some effect? He's had a week's worth so far and no change yet. He is obviously still under the weather. Is there anything else I can do for him apart from the Metacam? He's eating but a reduced amount so I have been giving Critical Care too. I've started to do the injections myself. Scary at first!

In my experience depocillin is a very safe antibiotic, and reduced eating/small poops in buns with jaw infections is much more likely to be caused by dental pain.

But yes, a probiotic is a good idea. I usually a sprinkle some avipro on soaked pellets for my abscess buns.

A bit of me died this morning when Herbie peacefully passed away in my arms at 4.30.:cry: He was an irreplaceable character who was and will always be loved beyond words by all the family.

You will be sorely missed darling but thank you for all the unconditional love you gave us over the past eight years and the happy memories you have left behind.

You will always be in my heart. Binky free sausage. I hope you are young again in bunny heaven. Stay safe with the other buns. Remember I love you to the moon and back. x

I didn't come on here very often but I just wanted to thank everyone for the much valued advice I always received when I did. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
So sorry about Herbie. Sounds like he had a wonderful, long and loving time with you and you did everything for him that you could. xx

Thanks for the kind words all. He was pooing OK, taking Fibreplex with the Depocillin and to be honest it was a bit unexpected up until yesterday evening when he started to display the signs that his time had come. He was peaceful and comfortable so we decided to let him go quietly at home rather than go through the stress of being PTS at the vet (it was obvious he didn't have long). I wish he was still here for purely selfish reasons but the tears have stopped (for now) and I realize it was for the best. He was a rescue so in reality he was probably 9-10 years and he had developed front splay legs so his mobility was very limited and had the two abscesses. I'm glad that he felt the sun on his back for the last time yesterday morning and I hope he knows that I kept him on my lap all night because I didn't want him to feel alone or afraid. He did lick me just before he went which is a memory I will always treasure. I am wandering around like a lost soul at the moment. I can't imagine this pain ever going away. :cry:

Thanks for the kind words all. He was pooing OK, taking Fibreplex with the Depocillin and to be honest it was a bit unexpected up until yesterday evening when he started to display the signs that his time had come. He was peaceful and comfortable so we decided to let him go quietly at home rather than go through the stress of being PTS at the vet (it was obvious he didn't have long). I wish he was still here for purely selfish reasons but the tears have stopped (for now) and I realize it was for the best. He was a rescue so in reality he was probably 9-10 years and he had developed front splay legs so his mobility was very limited and had the two abscesses. I'm glad that he felt the sun on his back for the last time yesterday morning and I hope he knows that I kept him on my lap all night because I didn't want him to feel alone or afraid. He did lick me just before he went which is a memory I will always treasure. I am wandering around like a lost soul at the moment. I can't imagine this pain ever going away. :cry:

:cry:

I am sure he took great comfort from you xx

:cry::cry::cry::cry: he sounded wonderful. im so very sorry xxx

Thank you. Yes he was a wonderful character and showed me and others so much affection.....I shall miss the face licks! Everyone who came into contact with him fell in love. We shall all miss him.

Oh dear, I'm off for another cry again now. Thank you all once again for your kind thoughts and good wishes to all your darling bunnies too. Cherish every moment. x

Last edited:
Back