• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worms! Help!

LittleBear18

Young Bun
Hi Guys!!

I feel bad, just checked over Tia (Angora 6 month old) and shes got worms!! She has only had them a little while, as i check them every day, it appears to only be her with them (but obviously she can infect my little boy)

where would she have got them from?! How do i treat them? Can i just get over the counter stuff? I'm quite, well i thought, vigal with worms as my chickens are wormed every month!!

How bad is this for her? she has a litter tray. shall i get rid of all the poos she does?

Poor bun :( (Ive had it and it aint nice!!! eww i know!!)

Please help

xx

Tiny tiny like 3mm long, really thin, white worms, if I need to take her to the vets, i will.

Any body else come across this?

Tiny tiny like 3mm long, really thin, white worms, if I need to take her to the vets, i will.

Any body else come across this?

Has she lost weight as well and been really hungry? Does sound like pinworm but without seeing I cannot say. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

Shes not lost huge amounts of weight, shes possibly a little thin.

They have constant access to hay which she isnt constantly eating, she is always very grateful for food, but what bunny isnt?

I would personally definately say pinworms in my experience.

My other bunny isnt showing signs of worms *yet* and hes not lost any weight what so ever, fat little man. Thinking about it she could possibly be on the skinny minni side of things.

Oh worry is a horrible horrible thing!!!

My only concern was getting it confused with flystrike. I did that years ago and it was actually pinworms and had a right panic :roll: Nine days worth of panacur worked and thyme herb is apparently meant to expell worms. You could try that as well.

Thanks for replying by the way :)

Let me do some quick research on flystrike

The worms are tiny and after research and looking at pictures (and years volunteering for an animal charity with hundreds of rabbits...) I conclude pinworms, I think similar to threadworms in humans.

So, I'll get her some panacur and thyme herb - literally from tesco?

Thank you :) very much appreciated

Ive just given her some more food as she 'bleats' at me, sounds like shes scared, but shes not!

Edited: I've checked her bottom which is completely clean! she doesnt mind me touching it, so shes not sore, her poos are smaller, hence why i was like :shock:

xx

Last edited:
Thanks for replying by the way :)

Let me do some quick research on flystrike
The worms are tiny and after research and looking at pictures (and years volunteering for an animal charity with hundreds of rabbits...) I conclude pinworms, I think similar to threadworms in humans.

So, I'll get her some panacur and thyme herb - literally from tesco?

Thank you :) very much appreciated

Ive just given her some more food as she 'bleats' at me, sounds like shes scared, but shes not!

Edited: I've checked her bottom which is completely clean! she doesnt mind me touching it, so shes not sore, her poos are smaller, hence why i was like :shock:

xx

Every Bunny Mummys Nightmare.....:shock::shock::shock:
Hope its worms.........:shock::shock::shock:

After researching *whispers* flystrike I would say thank :censored: no!!

Shes definately clean down there, shes a house bunny and shes had a couple of days out in the garden because its been so nice!! Stupid weather!!

The worms are...worms - they are thin thin thin, and white/transluscent!

I will get her some panacur tomorrow, and if after shes had that shes no better or loses loads of weight I will take her to the vets! Poor little bug!!

Mummy does love her! I will worm him too, even though hes not got any signs, but worm them together now, then 6/4 months time I can worm them again!!

:love: my babies!!

thank you guys :) xx

I think it may be best to do a full course of Panacur 28 days to rule out any internal parasite too.

Back