• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Precautions against EC

Grace65

Warren Veteran
Hi all,
This has probably been asked a thousand times, but what does everyone do to try and stop ec attacking their buns?
apart from worming (grace has had her first course btw) what else can be done to stop ec? xxxxxxxxxxxx

I dont think theres much you can do tbh. From what i can gather, alot of buns have EC, it lies dormant and can be bought on if the bun is ill/stressed etc.

My bunny is very poorly at the moment, and the vet said today hes showing alot of signs of EC :(

The 9 day course of panacur is useless, a 28 day course is used when signs are shown i think... someone with more knowledge will be along soon :) xx

I was told by a vet (not my current one) that EC can live in wood so to destroy any wood that Mischa had been around when he was ill. I don't know how true that is. I doubt there is much that can be done apart from keeping bun immune system strong.

Thanks for the help, im so paranoid about it all, my daisy was suspected to have ec before i lost her it terrifys me. xxxxx

I dont think theres much you can do tbh. From what i can gather, alot of buns have EC, it lies dormant and can be bought on if the bun is ill/stressed etc.

My bunny is very poorly at the moment, and the vet said today hes showing alot of signs of EC :(

The 9 day course of panacur is useless, a 28 day course is used when signs are shown i think... someone with more knowledge will be along soon :) xx

Im so sorry your bun has suspected EC its such a worry. xxxxxxxxx

Sorry new bunny owner what is EC?

Hello bubz
EC Is E cuniculli a parasite that lives in a bunny normally but for some reason can get "overgrown" and cause lots of problems in buns, head tilt, paralysis, seizures and a lot more.

There are a few buns fighting it on here at the moment. xxx

my vet said today she recommends a 28day course of panacur every 6 months to try and keep it at bay if theres any chance a bunny has been exposed.

you can get a blood test to check for ec, alvins came back negative so had he remained single i would not of panacured again, but since the blood test hes been to the rescue and came home with a new bunny. only option is to panacur them both and hope niether have it.

my vet said today she recommends a 28day course of panacur every 6 months to try and keep it at bay if theres any chance a bunny has been exposed.

you can get a blood test to check for ec, alvins came back negative so had he remained single i would not of panacured again, but since the blood test hes been to the rescue and came home with a new bunny. only option is to panacur them both and hope niether have it.

Yes my daisy had a negative blood test too, such a let down, i just gave grace a course f panacur and will be doing so again, the vet said 4 times a year i think, but saying that ive heard that it dosent actually prevent it anyway?? what to do??
what are you all cleaning buns litter trays out with?? xxxx

I was told today by our vet that theres not much point in a blood test, as with EC the results can come back positive and the only way to really find out would be to redo the blood test a month or so afterwards and compare levels of something or other :? xxx

EC is so confusing.

I once asked my bun savvy vet whether to continue doing a 9 day course every few months and he said yes if they don't mind it, which they don't. But the other vet at the same practice said there's not much evidence of a regular 9 day course doing anything which seems to be a view shared on here.

So I don't know what to do. Mischa had about a month and half course when he was ill. The others have all had 9 days courses and I'm wondering if I ought to do them a one-off 28 days course, don't know how I'll bleach clean though, and then a 9 day top up every few months.

I was told today by our vet that theres not much point in a blood test, as with EC the results can come back positive and the only way to really find out would be to redo the blood test a month or so afterwards and compare levels of something or other :? xxx

yeah thats probably right but its good for piece of mind when it comes back negative.. :D obviously a household with bunnies coming and going would be wasting money but i think for a two bunny house it can be worth it

may even request a test for Holly and a repeat for Alvin in a few months it was 50 quid so not that expensive (compared to other bunny costs lol)

EC is so confusing.

I once asked my bun savvy vet whether to continue doing a 9 day course every few months and he said yes if they don't mind it, which they don't. But the other vet at the same practice said there's not much evidence of a regular 9 day course doing anything which seems to be a view shared on here.

So I don't know what to do. Mischa had about a month and half course when he was ill. The others have all had 9 days courses and I'm wondering if I ought to do them a one-off 28 days course, don't know how I'll bleach clean though, and then a 9 day top up every few months.

It is very confusing, i was advised a 9 day course 4 times a year, yet others say its not really effective!? im cleaning grace`s litter trays out twice a day with a mild bleach solution and has shes free range 24/7 i just clean her metal dog crates once a week with bleach again, i mean is that enough?? xxx

It is very confusing, i was advised a 9 day course 4 times a year, yet others say its not really effective!? im cleaning grace`s litter trays out twice a day with a mild bleach solution and has shes free range 24/7 i just clean her metal dog crates once a week with bleach again, i mean is that enough?? xxx

Yes that's what I mean about the bleach cleaning. How do I bleach clean an entire room?!

Yes that's what I mean about the bleach cleaning. How do I bleach clean an entire room?!

I know what you mean its impossible!
Im cleaning the litter trays in bleach then drying with paper towel
Then i mop the laminate with bleach every day, once a week i clean the metal dog crates with bleach, and again once a week i wash her dishes in very hot soapy water, what else can you do?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was told that panacur (4-6 weeks) only works if the parasite is active - so worming as a precaution wouldn't really help & some buns carry it & never show symptoms.

Personally I panacur a bun as they arrive (if foster or temp) or panacur before I bond with my own. I keep temp buns in separate runs/hutches so no contact with mine, & thoroughly disinfect between each.

It's also important to throroughly disinfect the area he bun lives in on days 21 & 28.

I always thought that EC didn't exist in wild buns - but my vets had a baby wildie brought in recently that was fitting. He tested positive for EC & being in a bad way was pts. Our rabbit expert said EC was present in the soil anyway.

I know what you mean its impossible!
Im cleaning the litter trays in bleach then drying with paper towel
Then i mop the laminate with bleach every day, once a week i clean the metal dog crates with bleach, and again once a week i wash her dishes in very hot soapy water, what else can you do?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

watch bleach with buns - it might be too strong, - the fumes are dangerous,

Back