• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay vs Grass

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Which is best for grinding down bunnies teethies? Are they equally good? Or is hay better?

Another question. When in the run on grass do you guys still have hay available? If so, how much? A lot? A little?

Mine do have hay available whilst they are in the runs on the grass. they all have their litter trays, and they obviously have hay in there.

I believe that grass is better for grinding down the teeth. I think its something to do with what is in it, and how that changes when it dries out. I want to say something about silicon or some sort of sandpaper, but have absolutely no idea if that is accurate because I can't remember exactly what I was told previously.

ETA, this was similar to what I read- found on another forum

Also, the material in hay that causes the teeth to wear down is called silica. It's the main component of glass, beach sand, and those little packets that come in your shoes. Plants incorporate it into their stems for structure and stability. The silica in fresh grass is called hydrated silica, because the silica molecules are surrounded by water molecules. The silica in dry grass has much less water to interact with, so it is less hydrated. Hydrated silica is more abrasive on teeth than dehydrated silica. This was told to me by the vet at UW-vet school when I first took [my bunny] in (in some different terms, I just translated the chemistry into layperson terms for you).

Last edited:
Mine tend to ignore the hay when they are in the grass with the run so I don't bother putting it in anymore. They have hay in their hutch the whole time.

See mine are indoor buns so only go outside for a few hours at a time. I do usually put a hayrack in but I don't like to leave it in there overnight in case the local cats wee on it and it's a faff putting it in and out all the time as well as doing water bowls and carrying buns in and out. I'm wondering if a few hours without hay and with just grass would be that bad? :?

See mine are indoor buns so only go outside for a few hours at a time. I do usually put a hayrack in but I don't like to leave it in there overnight in case the local cats wee on it and it's a faff putting it in and out all the time as well as doing water bowls and carrying buns in and out. I'm wondering if a few hours without hay and with just grass would be that bad? :?

Oh no thats fine, aslong as they have hay in their accomodation i wouldnt worry about them having it in the run too :)

Oh good! If we're planning on being around all day with them in the run then I'll put some in. But most of the time they go in about 2 and come out about 4 or 5 when someone is around to keep an eye.

Oh good! If we're planning on being around all day with them in the run then I'll put some in. But most of the time they go in about 2 and come out about 4 or 5 when someone is around to keep an eye.

Oh yeh thats fine!! Mine wouldnt eat hay anyway if they were out for a few hours, when they free range i leave the garage open all day and they nip in and out and have a nibble on the hay, but if they are in the run for a few hours on plenty of grass i dont give them hay.

Grass is definitely 'better' for their teeth when it comes to grinding, but hay is a brilliant enough substitute if they don't have access to grass.

My girl Noisette's spurs have literally been filed down thanks to grass eating! My pair eat very little to no hay and it doesn't bother me in the slightest as they gorge on grass all day!

Back