• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RWA conference...we're back...some notes added :)

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
It's this Saturday! Can't promise anything obviously, but please say if there's anything in particular you want to know related to any of the sessions:

Advances in rabbit anaesthesia - How can we make it safer ?
The use of diagnostic endoscopy in rabbit medicine
Safe and Deadly Medicines for rabbits
Adrenal disease in rabbits
Liver lobe torsion A Deadly Twist
The rabbit GI tract – on a knife edge “

or if there's anything general that we might be able to nobble one of the vets about during a break - please do say here and we'll see what we can do :)

Personally I want to ask about antihistamines and what drugs may be usefully administered through a nebuliser.

Last edited:
i guess anything related to heart issues would interest me, but apart from why did my so called exotics vet miss an enlarged heart on an xray i cant think of any questions really :oops::oops: (yeah im still abit bitter)

I'd like to ask why analgesia is still omitted by some Vets when treating Rabbits.
I know the question has probably been asked before, but still too many Vets seem unaware of the importance of good pain relief when treating Rabbits.

I'll PM you about the other thing I'd like to ask ;)

more info if possible on EC and the best way to treat or prevent it

Any new information on the duration of a course of panacure for EC. (I understand that the original research only involved 6 rabbits.) has any more information been gleaned by experience?

How common is aquired autoimmune dysautonomia in rabbits? (It's similar to equine grass fever & parrot ventricular disease.)

Will see what we can do - if anyone has any specific questions that would be helpful as time is usually quite limited so to get maximum benefit we really need to be able to say more than 'can you tell us more about...'

Thumps - Marie probably has some of the most up-to-date info on EC; it was Neil Forbes at last year's conference who started off the debate about the usefulness of the 9-day course. It will be interesting to try and find out if any more progress has been made though as I am vaguely aware that FHB has been doing some work with rescues on this topic.

If anyone else is going and wants to swap mobile numbers to catch up tonight or tomorrow, send me a pm. A few of us have swapped already so hopefully there will be a small group sharing a beverage or two (and attempting to stalk Richard Saunders of course) this eve :)

In some areas of the US (i.e. those areas researching and looking into EC) they are not using Fenbendazole anymore for EC, they are using Ponazuril- I think that's what its called- (Marquis- this is a horse wormer for a problem very similar to EC) because the Fenbendazole does not penetrate the blood brain barrier so is not of use against EC, Yet the Marquis does seem to penetrate the blood brain barrier and has so far shown some very positive effects.

I would be interested to know if/when that might come over here as a treatment, and if any of them have used or tried it with genuinely active EC bunnies. Or if they would be willing to.

All Pet shops are required to comply with:

The Pet Animals Act 1951
Licence Conditions

Clause 6.2 Health, Disease and Acclimatisation states:

And sick or injured animals must receive appropriate care and treatment without delay.

Inexperienced staff must not treat sick animals unless under appropriately experienced supervision.

N.B. “Care and treatment” may include euthanasia but under no circumstances may an animal be euthanased other than in a humane and effective manner. In case of doubt, veterinary advice must be sought.

Perhaps you could ask the panel of pets at the conference the questions:

"Have you or a member of your practice ever been requested to provide advice to or veterinary care at or on behalf of a pet shop?"

Is there any way of getting literature about any of the topics? Id like to know what they say about the GI stasis :) Would also be useful info to pass onto our vet :roll:

xXx

Yep they sell copies of the lecture notes after the conference so keep your eye out on the rwa
Shop :)

No questions to ask, but just wanted to say how interesting the topics sound. Hope you have a rewarding day. :)

Well we're safely installed and have already bumped into richard 4 times. I've warned him i'm planning on picking his brains tomorrow and if's waved cheerfully every time he has seen us since so i don't think we've scared him too much!

:wave: We're back! Nice to see Lou, Janice, Lisa and Helen again, and to meet Charlotte and Vikki for the first time :D And thanks Lou for driving :D

Too tired to feedback now, but suffice to say that it was really interesting, opinions have moved on and changed even since last year and I learnt a lot. Only about 35 people in the owners/rescue stream this year (130+ veterinary though) which was a shame, but on the plus side, it did give us the opportunity to ask lots of questions :)

:wave: We're back! Nice to see Lou, Janice, Lisa and Helen again, and to meet Charlotte and Vikki for the first time :D And thanks Lou for driving :D

Too tired to feedback now, but suffice to say that it was really interesting, opinions have moved on and changed even since last year and I learnt a lot. Only about 35 people in the owners/rescue stream this year (130+ veterinary though) which was a shame, but on the plus side, it did give us the opportunity to ask lots of questions :)

Looking forward to a report when you've had some R+R :wave:

Back