• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is the oldest age for male rabbit's bits to drop?

gemmam

Alpha Buck
Hi,
My mini lop is now about 20 weeks old and "he" has no testicles as yet. Is there still a chance they could appear or does it seem likely we have a female? The vet checked when he had his jabs and said it did look like a male but wasn't 100% sure.

Rabbits can have undescended testicles, so technically, the latest could be never. That raises another possibility.

I did wonder about that. Think I'll give it a couple of weeks then ring and ask the vet if they'll just book him in for a neuter or spay depending what they find when he's under GA.

Undescended testicles can be tricky because they can be attached elsewhere in the body (such as the kidneys). If that is a possibility then I believe most vets would want to scan first to locate them before moving in unless they could feel them just behind where they should be.

It may be, however, that possibly he is just sucking them up whenever anyone comes near him?

Ok thanks. I presume he would need sedating for a scan? In which case he might as well have it all done in one go - sedation/GA, scan then (hopefully)neuter?

Back