• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stress causing the runs?

Patchrabbit

Warren Scout
I'm not totally sure if stress can cause a rabbit to start having abnormal poos. Patch had a spay on the 7th, came through that just fine, had post-op check the Monday after and was fine then. Checked her stitches this morning to find she had pulled out most of the top layer and it was kinda red around the wound, so took her to the vets. The vet said it was infected and gave me some Baytril. He also put a head collar on her to 'stop her getting into anymore mischief' with her stitches. Brought her home and now she's been doing really squishy poos all over her run and hutch. It's not quite diarrhea, but they're very dark, oval-shaped and quite squishy. They were fine and normal yesterday when I cleaned out her litter tray, and the same this morning before I took her to the vets. Nothing in her diet had changed either. I suppose it's the stress of the having the head collar on, but I can't be sure.

Advice much appreciated please!

Could they be cecotropes? With the collar on she won't be able to eat them, so will just be doing them and leaving them when she would normally.

Is she producing normal regular poo too?

But yes, stress can cause diarrhoea, but this may not be diarrhoea, just a bunny unable to eat her cecotropes.

Sounds like she can't reaches her cecals with the collar on. Have you tried feeding them to her?

Yes she's produced a few normal ones. I suppose they could be cecos, I usually don't see them I guess because she eats them.

Sounds like it is probably them then, as opposed to actual diarrhoea. I agree with trying to feed them to her. She needs them to keep her gut healthy.

A tiny practical point. Caecs have to smell right or a bun won't eat them. My bun won't eat his caecs if I've touched them. If you've probs. suggest scooping them up on a piece of paper.

thumps raises a good point. If mine leave them for any reason I tend to steer them in the general direction and tap next to the cecal with my finger until they get the message.

Back